• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Ray ZRS comparison (1 Viewer)

I've read a lot of positive reviews of the ZRS and new Vista.

Curious if anyone has first hand comparison to AO Radian or Leupold Acadia.

I've seen a few other 8x42 with phase correction, but it appears these are the best reviewed of the bargain segment - am I missing any to consider?

The ZRS and the Radian have very similar physical dimensions and may share the same basic housing. I had the original ZRS side by side to the Radian. I preferred the original ZRS. Some would have likely preferred the Radian because the old ZRS had a distinct reddish color bias. I thought the apparent image sharpness went to the ZRS. The then (non dielectric) Sky King might have been better than the ZRS again, mostly due to a more neutral color bias. It too was a bit sharper than the Radian. But both the ZRS and Radian are more expensive glass. I have not yet seen the newer dielectric coated Sky King either.

Now as for the new ZRS, I don't have the Radian and Sky King. But I do have the new and old ZRS. The new is a better view than the old. Gone is the reddish color bias and the resolution is improved in the new.

I have seen the Acadia only a couple of times, both in stores where a direct comparison to the ZRS was not feasible. I would judge the Acadia to be entirely feasible as a field worthy, inexpensive binocular. I can't comment further on it.

The Radian and new ZRS are very compact in size, being not much larger than many mid size glass.

The ZRS and the Radian have very similar physical dimensions and may share the same basic housing.
Steve, actually, Radian shares the same basic housing as our old VISTA model. AFAIK, both use plastic body with Aluminum reflective prism coating. Even though new ZRS is similar in size to old VISTA, its optics is completely different, much superior in both design and components. It comes with dielectric reflective prism coating and the chassis is made of Mg alloy.

With introduction of new 2010 VISTA with silver prism coating and different optical design, we decided to obsolete the old VISTA optics altogether.

If I am hard pressed to rank those zen-ray models, here it is: 2010ZRS> 2009ZRS~2010VISTA>> old VISTA

Hopefully, this helps.

Thanks

Charles

I've recently purchased the ZRS 8x42's and I've been putting them to use in the field and doing a little home novice testing. My basis for comparison is the Nikon Monarch 8x42.

Shortly after I received them (purchased from Doug at Cameraland for $205 and free shipping), I performed my home resolution test. Taping a draft of an email to my living room wall, poorly iluminated by a 40 watt lamp turned away from the email, then backing away along a tape measure. At 15' both binoculars were equal, same again at twenty feet where I had to hold each pair steady, concentrate hard and I could read one word at a time. At 22' I could not read any words with either binocular, but I could identify an occasional capitalized letter. Both binoculars were exactly the same. Well, I think pretty highly of my Nikon Monarchs, so that was impresive performance. I could not perceive an advantage for either in contrast, but the ZRS seemed sligtly better in brightness.

I moved the light further away, shaded it and concentrated on the books in one of my book shelves. With both binoculars I could read all the titles and the authors of both the Raymond Chandler's and the Dashiell Hammett's (paperbacks) on the upper two shelves and the color of the cover of Red Harvest was equally vivid in both binoculars.
The bottum shelf was very dimly illuminated but with the ZRS I could read the full title of "North American Raptors" and "Wheeler & Clark", while with the Monarch's I could only clearly read "Raptors". I guess dielectric coated prisms do work after all. The ZRS's were brighter in very, very dim lighting. Over all this is pretty impressive performance. I've tried my Nikon Monarch's against many other binoculars and only a few have equaled the Monarch's performance (Leupold Pinnacle 8x42, Vortex Viper 8x42 and ZR 7x36 ED2) and only one has shown better resolution (Vortex Viper 10x42).

For the last two weeks I've used both in the field. Neither has any significant advantage. Although the Monarch's rendition of colors is perhaps a bit more accurate. Red lettering on a white truck had a very slight purplish cast to it throught the ZRS's. The Monarch's were dead on when I walked up to the truck. Unfortunately, I can not see into deeper shade with the ZRS than I can with the Monarch. Of course the Monarch's handle better. They are the best handling full size (42mm) binocular that I've ever held.

One final thing, last weekend was bright and sunny. A parked van with a straight flat roof was reflecting sunlight along the line of the edge of the roof. Both binoculars when looking at this horizontal streak of reflected light through the center on the lens presented just the white light that was there; however, when looking through the lower portion of the lens the white light had a purple highlight below it and when looking through the upper portion of the lens a green highlight above the white light. This effect was a bit more noticable in the ZRS. But as I have not yet come accross any birds reflecting light in this manner, I do not consider this to be a negitive, just a curiosity.

I would have to agree with an earlier assessment of the ZRS 8x42 that I read here on Birdforum, as they are the equal (opticaly) of my Nikon Monarch 8x42's which are the equal of several pair of Vortex Viper 8x42's that I've tried (one pair extensively) and as things being equal to the same thing are equal to each other - the ZRS are about equal to Viper 8x42's.

These new ZRS's are a very good binocular. I'm keeping this pair. The only suggestion I would have is ditch the magnesium frames they weigh too much. Vipers weigh a 1/2 oz less with aluminum frames. The Monarch's of course have poly-carbonate frames which have many benefits, particularly in a salt water environment.

bearclawthedonut

The only suggestion I would have is ditch the magnesium frames they weigh too much. Vipers weigh a 1/2 oz less with aluminum frames.

bearclawthedonut

I found this at a bike forum:

Magnesium weighs .06 lb/cubic inch. Aluminum .1 lb/cubic inch. Titanium .16 lb/cubic inch. Steel .3 lb/cubic inch. Their relative stiffness is in the same order as their density. So in some shapes and designs one material can be lighter than any other of these materials. It all depends on the nature of the loads and any size or shape constraints. All of these materials have their pros and cons.
This afternoon, I asked my friendly neighborhood materials engineering professor about magnesium vs. aluminum vs. titanium. His take is as follows:
Magnesium Pros and Cons:
20% lighter than aluminum for a given strength
Costs slightly less than titanium
Is only about 65% as stong/weight compared to titanium
Dangerous to weld or machine (see fire risk above)
Will corrode
Will react with steel bolts.

Last edited:
The only suggestion I would have is ditch the magnesium frames they weigh too much. Vipers weigh a 1/2 oz less with aluminum frames. The Monarch's of course have poly-carbonate frames which have many benefits, particularly in a salt water environment.

bearclawthedonut

BCTD, thanks a lot for choosing the new ZRS. It is good to see that it worked out for you. I really appreciate the review and feedback you put togther.

I totally agree with you that there are many benefits using poly-carbonate chassis. Among them, the cost is significantly lower than Mg alloys. However, the biggest issues with plastic are its high thermal expansion coefficient and its less-than-ideal rigidness. That will limit the consistency of resolution performance. Yes, the weight density of Mg alloy is heavier than polycarbonate. But it allows a thinner body than polycarbonate with its higher structural strength. Both material are lighter than Aluminum metal (1.8g/cm3 for Mg alloy vs 2.7g/cm3 for Al). Just like designing optics, a lot of compromises have to be made in choosing optical housing material.

Thanks

Charles

birdazzLED:

Ask your friend about magnesium and salt water..... You might also ask him to explain the relative meaning of an element's position on the Periodic Chart. Say, magnesium versus aluminum; argon versus nitrogen.

Charles:

I agree with much of what you say. Poly-cabonates do expand and contract, but magnesium does also. Another disadvantage of poly-carbonate in binoculars is that it deflects, it has excellent memory - it deforms and then regains its shape. The combination of expansion/contraction and deformation makes it difficult to keep lenses in position. These characteristics are a chalenge and also an advantage. Aluminum and magnesium have early limits to deformation, they will rupture. As far as strength goes, it has much to do with shape, but I strongly recommend against hitting a polycarbonate window with an axe. As that action would lead to extreme injury.

I guess the point is magnesium frames are thought of as sexy (the same frame Alpha's have), aluminum frames as pedestrian; but the Vortex Viper's weigh over a half an ounce less than the new ZRS's. And of course, the Monarch's weigh over 2 ounces less. Weight is important to me most particularly in the field, that's why I would like to try the new Vortex Viper 8x28's. I'm willing to leave sex in the bedroom along with that extra 2 ounces. I suspect the choice of magnesium is ultimately a marketing issue.

bearclawthedonut

I've had my ZRS for about 3 weeks now and I have to say they are bit of let down.

Not that I'm expert, but just from a personal preference POV.

I spent about an hour this morning looking across my lake at some flags and flowers. I was in shade, the objects in bright sun. I also tracked a few boats about 1/2 mile away on the lake.

I had the ZRS and Yosemite 8x30.

The ZRS seemed a little fuzzy - for lack of better term. Did not handle the reflection of the water well and it seemed like the focus (I think you all refer to it as depth of focus) was not as good as the the 8x30.

I'm going to try it later this evening to compare more low light conditions.

Still would like a roof prism option over the Yosemite if I can find one - concerned about waterproof ability and ruggedness.

Also, I have a weird issue with a lot of light coming in at the ocular - maybe the eye cups just don't work for me?

Regarding the light issue with the ocular. If you are wearing a cap, try turning the bill of it around to the direction where the sun is located and then see if the light problem goes away.
Bob

Swaroski has an optional winged eyecup to shield light. But it only works with Swaro binoculars. It will be a good market if some companies can make universal sunshades for eyecups.

Swaroski has an optional winged eyecup to shield light. But it only works with Swaro binoculars. It will be a good market if some companies can make universal sunshades for eyecups.

I saw some advertised on TV but can't remember the name. Kind of big ol' things......

Field Optics Eye Shields (http://shop.kingsoutdoorworld.com/Eye-Shields-for-Binoculars_p_161.html) at $19.99 fit over existing eyecups and work great. Like all winged eyecups, the eye shields prevent the use of the ocular rainguard but the gain in clarity in most side lighting situations is striking.

I've had my ZRS for about 3 weeks now and I have to say they are bit of let down.

Not that I'm expert, but just from a personal preference POV.

I spent about an hour this morning looking across my lake at some flags and flowers. I was in shade, the objects in bright sun. I also tracked a few boats about 1/2 mile away on the lake.

I had the ZRS and Yosemite 8x30.

The ZRS seemed a little fuzzy - for lack of better term. Did not handle the reflection of the water well and it seemed like the focus (I think you all refer to it as depth of focus) was not as good as the the 8x30.

I'm going to try it later this evening to compare more low light conditions.

Still would like a roof prism option over the Yosemite if I can find one - concerned about waterproof ability and ruggedness.

Also, I have a weird issue with a lot of light coming in at the ocular - maybe the eye cups just don't work for me?

Don't expect miracles with some of the under $100 roofs. The Leupold Yosemite is a very good optic. If you think it is better it probably is. o:)

So beerclawthedonut,
Would be interesting to see how the new 2010 ZRS with dielectri compare with the dielectric on the monarch.
You seem to like the Monarch's.
So If you had to say which you prefer in 8x, Monach or ZRS? Am trying to make this choice right now.
Cheers,
ileana

Ileana, if you have the Monarchs in hand and you like them go for it. The only thing I never liked in the old models, at 10x, was a bit of CA. At 8x it would not be so bad. This improved one we have little info on.

The ergonomics of the Monarchs are good, fast focus, eye cups are supposed to be improved to sturdier style.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back