• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron Nature 8x30 (1 Viewer)

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, but have been lurking for quite a while. I 'm in the market for an inexpensive, compact bino as a spare, and after reading a lot of posts, was getting all lathered up about the Yosemite 6x30, especially as I have young boys.

Then I saw the Celestron 8x30 being mentioned, but with no reviews. The specs look good, especially for ER and FOV, and the price is right. Not having any info to go on, I ordered a pair to check them out - should be here soon. I'll provide what info I can when they get here for the curious! I'll be able to compare them to a Bushnell Excursion 8x42, a Vortex Viper 8x42, and my recent memories of several other glasses, including the 6.5x32 Raptor and 8x32 Raptor. Stay tuned!

Cheers, Dan

Ditto. I use Yosemite 6x30s exclusively, and have learned to live with some limitations, but need more reach. I like the basic format, and as a budget birder, like the price, so I'm interested in your comments as well.

David

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, but have been lurking for quite a while. I 'm in the market for an inexpensive, compact bino as a spare, and after reading a lot of posts, was getting all lathered up about the Yosemite 6x30, especially as I have young boys.

Then I saw the Celestron 8x30 being mentioned, but with no reviews. The specs look good, especially for ER and FOV, and the price is right. Not having any info to go on, I ordered a pair to check them out - should be here soon. I'll provide what info I can when they get here for the curious! I'll be able to compare them to a Bushnell Excursion 8x42, a Vortex Viper 8x42, and my recent memories of several other glasses, including the 6.5x32 Raptor and 8x32 Raptor. Stay tuned!

Cheers, Dan

Hi Dan,

looking forward to what you have to say.

Best wishes
Martin

Here it is!

They're here! The binoculars arrived double-boxed on the day they were promised. I got them from Adorama via Buy.com for $49. My first impression was pretty favorable, especially once I saw the giant oculars (a fetish brought on by my needing eyeglasses recently). I decided they were keepers, so I am doing a thorough review. For the price, they could have been truly horrible junk. I would say that they are far from that!

I checked them out on my lunch break and after work, mostly on trees and bushes in the area. Here are my observations:

Construction: inspires confidence. The hinge arms are solid metal (aluminum?) and beefy. The tension was good and stiff. The tension is maintained with the usual hinge screw, but it has two tiny set screws to keep it in place. Nice touch! You may notice the cover is upside down - I did that when I put it back on. The prisms appear to be glued into the body with black glue, and glued to each other with a glob of clear silicone. The body screws are big and beefy. I think they will last a long time.

Fit and finish: this is where the Celestrons fall down. There was a metal shaving visible in one barrel out of the light path, and I pulled another shaving out of the focusing knob. There are three tool marks on one eyepiece. The rubber armor is nice - not too soft. I think it will last. There are cheesy plastic rings on the lens barrels that have sharp edges. The eyecups unscrewed while I was playing with them and one fell off. I screwed it down tighter and I think it will not cause any problems. The red Celestron sticker already fell off too. There was a bit of dust visible in the body - they were obviously not assembled in a clean room! Overall, the impression is functional, rather than exquisite.

Ergonomics: Excellent. I have small hands, and the feel is just right. The engineers obviously put some thought into the shape of the glass. The focusing was stiff but not too much, and was much easier to focus into the body than out (air pressure differential?). I like holding them with one hand and two. They are light and handy.

Glass: It appears that all surfaces are multicoated. I get nothing but pink and green reflections from the lenses and prisms on both ends. The grinding and coatings appear first-rate. I'm not going to scrub them to check the durability.

Accessories: The Celestrons ship with a decent (not great) strap with neoprene padding, and thankfully no inch-high letters advertising the brand. lens caps are soft rubber and fit well. There was also a cleaning cloth. Finally, it comes in a truly laughable bathtub of a case. You could put three of these little guys in there. No padding. Bleah. I don't use lens caps, but I do use a case, so I'm going to have to improvise something.

Eyecups: twist-up. They have 3 detents that appear to do nothing, and while they will stay at full extension, I think they will collapse during use. I keep them all the way down anyway.

Eye relief: Good for glasses. I have plastic frames, and I can just see the whole field. I might have liked one more mm, but they are fine. No blackouts.

Close focus: about 10 feet. This was longer than advertised, but good for a porro. No double vision at that distance.

FOV: I looked at a bookshelf at 10 feet distance, and could easily see 16" worth of books. By wiggling my eyes around, I could see another 1/2". By this very crude method, I calculate 400-413 feet at 1000 yards. Their claim of 430 feet may very well be accurate.

View: Here we are! The view was very comfortable. Collimation was good, and I am sensitive to misalignment. Sharpness was very good in the center. I could easily discern spider silk 50 feet away, and individual pine needles about 100 yards away. Viper guy said they were as sharp as his 8x42 viper (but opined that twilights visibility would not be as good, and noticed the overall cheaper feel of the Celestrons). The sweet spot was about 60% of the view, and it was biased toward the inside. I think this is good because with a porro, you will be using the inside of the view more. Outside of the sweet spot, the view was softer, but still quite useful. The lack of sharpness was not noticeable in normal use. The last 5% was rather squished with pincushion and is good only for noticing movement. With the wide angle, I did not notice the distortion at the edge unless I was looking for it.

Flare: visible against the light as a light crescent opposite the direction of the light source. As much as I tried, I would say that it never reduced the subjective contrast more than 25%, when looking at a dark subject with very bright backlighting. There was also an artifact in the inner bottom corner of both barrels with the extreme backlighting. I once saw a ghosted image in that artifact, so I suspect it was some stray light going through the prisms. This artifact was readily apparent, but since it was in the corner of the view and not very bright, it did not bother me. Again, this was during the worst backlighting viewing conditions I could find. Normal viewing produced no flare.

CA: not a problem. With the extreme backlighting, I may have seen a slight and small yellow/green aura around dark objects, but I was really trying to see it. Mostly, I'd say it was absent.

Color: neutral. The contrast was not “eye-popping” as some binoculars are said to have – just nice. It looked like things were just closer. Very natural looking. Looking into shadows showed good resolution of dark details.

Conclusion: Now that I have finished this, I have to remember that these are $50 binos! I am more than pleased at what I got. I would have been happy if these had been $100 binos. At $200, I would be criticising the fit and finish more, but still liking the view :)

Attachments

• IMG_6669.jpg
    IMG_6669.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 784
  • IMG_6668.jpg
    IMG_6668.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_6670.jpg
    IMG_6670.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_6671.jpg
    IMG_6671.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_6673.jpg
    IMG_6673.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 720
Last edited:
More Pics

More Pictures... also forgot to mention there is a tripod mount in the usual spot.

Cheers, Dan

Attachments

• IMG_6674.jpg
    IMG_6674.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 566
  • IMG_6675.jpg
    IMG_6675.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_6676.jpg
    IMG_6676.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_6677.jpg
    IMG_6677.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_6678.jpg
    IMG_6678.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 336
Thanks for the review Dan. I'd like to try a pair after reading it. I've tried the Vortex 6.5 and 8.5x32 porros and couldn't get on with the eyerelief so these may be an alternative for me.

A couple of questions for you:

What's the red stuff on the objective in your fourth photo. Is that the dust you mention under 'Fit and Finish'?
What you say about there is enough to make me want to try before I buy, even at their low price.

How do you rate their brightness? Have you tried them on an overcast day or in dark woodlands?
My Dad has a pair of the Vortex 8.5x32s and I think their on the dim side. But I tried them in the winter on a very dull day.

Looks like they've allowed room for a lunchbox and coffee flask in the case!

Over here in the UK we have to pay twice what you pay over there. £65 so about $100. Adorama's website wont ship them outside of the US. Not that that makes much difference, once you add the cost of shipping to the UK and VAT, etc, they would probably cost £65, maybe more.

It looks like Barska have jumped on this particular band wagon too:

http://www.tactical-store.com/ts-bk-bi-crossover-8x30.html

Best wishes
Martin

Last edited:
Hi Martin,

The red that you see in the photo is a reflection of the sky and trees from the lens. You can see a piece of dust in the lower right of the same picture. I can't comment on the brightness yet, because I left them at work and did not try them at dusk. I suspect they are fine, considering the aperture. I'll look tonight.

I have looked through the Raptor 6 and 8x32, and I feel the Celestron view is superior to the Raptor 8x, and about equivalent in quality to the 6x, but of course bigger! The eye relief of the Celestrons is less than the Vortex, but I had some blackout issues with those.

With the quality control issues that they obviously have, I'd buy from a place where you can try first, or return defectives without fuss. I believe that the design is a winner.

I believe the Barska is built on exactly the same frame, looking at pictures. Who knows if the optics are the same...

Cheers, Dan

Last edited:
Nice write up and photos, Dan.

I'll let a couple of others jump first but $56 shiped is a pretty good price!

I wonder what the unit to unit variation is?

I also noticed that the IPD measurement on the focuser top cap is upside down. I presume you took it off and put it back on the other way up?

Nice write up and photos, Dan.

I'll let a couple of others jump first but $56 shiped is a pretty good price!

I wonder what the unit to unit variation is?

I also noticed that the IPD measurement on the focuser top cap is upside down. I presume you took it off and put it back on the other way up?

THanks. Based on my sample of one, I don't know how others would fare. Everyone go out and buy one to compare! :)

I have since fixed the IPD scale. Yup, that was me.

Cheers, Dan

This replaced the old Ultima DX 8 x 32 which was a brute! It weighed 2 pounds and was as thick as an anvil but it got real good reviews here when it was closed out at prices under $100.00. If you can find one of these around get it. It should last forever.

Maybe I'll get one of these new and fancy replacements and compare them. Can't beat the price.

Bob

Just from Dan's description the build quality of the Ultima DX is better (no shavings in that one). It is a good bird feeder bin for the windowsill with all that extra weight.

I've used my Celestron Nature 8X30's for a couple of weeks now and I am very happy. The vinyl Celestron button was loose, but a little bit of super glue fixed that. No metal or dust visible inside. I can switch from with glasses and without. I actually prefer looking through these with my glasses on.

I'm satisfied with mine.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back