• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ProStaff/Travelight compared to Zeiss Terra ED? (1 Viewer)

Jaywalk

United States
I'm interested a small set of lightweight bins for airline travel and the two subject models continue to pop up, the Terra more than the Travelight. I would think the Nikon porros would be good optically, more subject to damage, not waterproof (except the EG), and cheaper, while the Zeiss would be tougher, good optically, waterproof, and slightly more expensive, but that's just theory comparing characteristics of porro to roof; I've never handled either. How do they compare by those who have used both?

We have a few different binocs around the house - Zeiss 8x42 SF, Nikon 8x30 Superior E, a Minox-made 8x30 from Eagle Optics, a Leupold Yosemite (clone to the current Kowa YF 6x30), and we use to have a Zeiss 8x20B, but it was adopted by my son for mountaineering - definitely a hole in the collection.

I haven't completely eliminated the usual suspects - Swarovski Curio, Leica 8x20, etc. - but there's plenty of info on the site about them. There isn't much comparison info about the subject bins.

I have only looked through my partner’s Zeiss Terra 8x32 binoculars and I like them.
They aren’t a match for either of my Swarovski EL models (no surprise there) but I feel that they are good value for money.
My partner bought them at a local (reputable) optics shop who let her take all the time she needed to see which of three models from three manufacturers in the same price range.

It’s obviously a very individual thing but my partner loves them

It’s obviously a very individual thing but my partner loves them
Partly I'm trying to decide if I need another pair of bins. I have a perfectly useful set of Leupold Yosemite (Kowa YF) 6x30 under the seat of the car. I'll test them against my 8x42 and some store samples of Terra ED and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back