• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (5 Viewers)

As in possibly a fea'd but definitely a pterodroma, so other options being zino's, desertas or soft-plumaged petrel ? WOW

As in "**** me, I've never seen one of these before but I'm no slouch and I know **** well what the options are; sadly I also know that anyone who fancies claiming one of these to species level needs to be either 1) on a boat with a whopping big lens and a handy shark's liver, or 2) on land and very, very sure of their own ability/eyesight/judgement (not to mention lucky enough to have considerably more than my 90 seconds or so on a distant Pterodroma)".

If you get my meaning.

Last edited:
fea'd but definitely a pterodroma, so other options being zino's, desertas or soft

My worst Fea's were realised a few weeks ago: I was sure I would Zino petrel, as my luck had Deserta'd me. 'Don't be Soft', I said to myself: 'Just ignore it.'

Will this bird taunt me all summer, now ?

It’s bad enough being faced with the prospect of no autumn, with wall-to-wall hot sunshine for all of October.

Titchwell September 28th

Today’s highlights

Snow bunting – 1 west @ 07:10
Lapland bunting – 1 east @ 08:00
Spotted redshank – 10 on reserve
Mandarin – 2 in reedbed
Short-eared owl – 1 in/off sea
Green sandpiper – 1 on grazing meadow
Little stint – 2 on fresh marsh

Paul

Holme - Gore Point

South east winds enticed me out birding after work but sadly saw very little. Fantastic wader roost though as a perfect pink sun was setting.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Hi All

Had the most perfect day at Strumpshaw Fen today... Posted on My Birding Day loved it and cannot wait to go again!

Very exciting going through my shots from today
Sarah x

If it's been a while since you saw a Kingfisher close up & personal, you should pop into Strumpshaw Fen at the mo! They're so obliging, even I managed som pictures!

Took several on Monday two were playing nicely and one took a liking to the stump so got a few, more arty, shots.

Attachments

• WPL_1573_iPad.jpg
    WPL_1573_iPad.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 155
Cantley access

Can anyone help with instructions regarding visiting Cantley I understand that you have to sign in? What times/days can you visit?
Many thanks for your help.

Can anyone help with instructions regarding visiting Cantley I understand that you have to sign in? What times/days can you visit?
Many thanks for your help.
Hi Delia

Presumably you're talking about the sugarbeet factory rather than the marshes. I went there for the first time last Saturday.

If you walk into the entrance near Cantley station there is an obvious security office. I went in to ask if I needed a permit and the guy said normally I would but it didn't really matter that day as nobody would ask to see it. He then directed me along a public footpath which runs along the river and passes the factory. Just past all the buildings there is another public footpath that turns left and heads away from the river, this passes a few pools (which didn't have many birds that day) and eventually leads back to Cantley village. However to get to the best birding area, ignore this turn off and continue following the river path for a couple of hundred metres more until an unmarked track leads to a large muddy pool. You can walk all the way around this and it seemed to be where most of the waders were (although I couldn't find the Pec. Sand.).

There are also some reedy pools which had loads of Bearded Tits showing really well.

It's quite hard to explain as the tracks around the pools are unmarked and it's just a matter of exploring the area. An OS map is handy as the pools are shown on it.

I came across two employees and neither asked to see a permit. One asked what birds were around and seemed knowledgeable and interested. However, I would still recommend popping into the security office and letting them know you're there.

I don't see why the site wouldn't be accessible every day but, as I say, I've only visited once so hopefully someone else can provide more information.

somebody has just quoted a speed of 30km per hour on the sandhill crane thread. does that help with the timing to reach norfolk.if it gets this far, will it fly down the wash or across to north norfolk?

Hopefully it'l meet up with the broads flock and stay put for a while
(or would they be quick to see off a new arrival?)

Here's hoping! Sat afternoon would be convenient too

Saturday seems like a good bet! My guess is it rest near Titchwell when it cuts over the Wash... As long as it doesn't dissapear inland it could be a fun weekend catching up with it

The Sandhill Crane is an awfully long way away - the last (unconfirmed?) report was from the North Yorkshire Moors - and it could yet take any route through the UK. Having said that, it does appear to have been coasting and if it does enter Norfolk and onto Broadland there must surely be a good chance it will at least stay for a quick cuppa with it's close relatives. A waiting game for tomorrow I guess..

James

Grey Catbird?

Before I start, this is at a private sight a few miles north of Norwich.

A friend of mine yesterday heard a loud meowing call from some bushes, this meowing then moved as a Grey Blackbird sized bird also moved through the bushes.

She did not realise that a Catbird made a meowing call, but when she was thinking about what an all grey bird could be, she thought of Grey Catbird and had a look on the internet at pictures and listened to the call.

A second person that was with her at the time heard her play the call, and from another room he shouted through ‘that is what was calling outside, what is it?’

She was a keen birdwatcher but not so much now, and is confident with all common species and has seen Grey Catbird before (in Canada) and believes that this could well of been what it was, and wishes she had paid more attention at the time.

I went to look today but no sign of it, but I thought I would post a mention on here so that if anyone is out and about maybe this can be in the back of there mind if they hear a meow.

If the bird is re-heard and seen and is a Grey Catbird access will be arranged, but for now check every bush you can.

a quick cuppa with its close relatives.

Wouldn't both species partake of crane flies, James ?

Has it been decided which subspecies the Sandhill is ?

It would provide a major fillip to the day, following this morning's extensive dental surgery. I'm not going to attempt any predictions, after my recent, woeful failures.

Cantley

Presumably you're talking about the sugarbeet factory rather than the marshes...I don't see why the site wouldn't be accessible every day but, as I say, I've only visited once so hopefully someone else can provide more information.

Looking at the OS map, the whole site seems to be accessible by public footpaths. Can anyone with local knowledge enlighten me - why is it necessary to obtain a permit to walk on public footpaths at Cantley?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back