• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (112 Viewers)

No doubt been said before Fact No1:

There are many people who visit Titchwell who have some seriously good optical equipment.

Thanks for letting me have a peep through :)

A nice, fitting, birthday present for the Observatory on the open day today... Classic HBO bird on a classic date. Happy 50th and here's to many more to come B :)

Attachments

• Barred Warbler 4.jpg
    Barred Warbler 4.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Hundreds of Swallows, House Martins and Sand Martins flying over Holme Bird Observatory at the sun was setting - beautiful!:t:

Full write up on Holme Bird Observatory 50th Celebration on my blog.

Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Fabulous news - just phoned Paul Roney, Centre Manager who said these trails are perfect for the light in the morning, rather than afternoon, which will entice people to stay the whole day at Titchwell now:t:

Will Titchwell be allowed to follow common sense and increase their catering order for bacon butties, or will the bean-counters demand that formal approval is needed first?:t:
MJB
PS If the latter, get your order in early!

Titchwell Marsh- as you’ve never seen it before

bacon butties

Paul Roney, Centre Manager who said these trails are perfect for the light in the morning

It’s as the sign says: several new vistas of this reserve have been opened up to the public for the first time. Most notably, the Island Mere can now be viewed from the east.

The new East Trail goes past a large pool, made from the hole caused by the excavation of material for the flood defences, with two blinds (yes! blinds, not hides). This will become Patsy’s Reedbed.

The gravelled trail has wide fringes and goes through flat areas, already planted with trees. The potential for migrant passerines is easy to envisage. I have suggested to staff a butterfly-friendly patch somewhere around here.

It then continues past Willow Wood and turns to the north, to reach another blind, the other side of the Mere from Island Hide. As Penny says, this will be great in morning light. Perhaps the butties could morph into ‘bacon & egg’ (plus sausage?).

The only drawback I can see is if, say, an active, rare wader commutes with frequency between the east and west sides of the Island Mere. Could scooters be made available in such a case ?

Attachments

• 012pse.jpg
    012pse.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 132
  • 009pse.jpg
    009pse.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 014pse.jpg
    014pse.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 022pse.jpg
    022pse.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 152
  • 025pse.jpg
    025pse.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 150
Morston - Stiffkey 2/9/12

Felt great to be back on the coast again today after having a couple of months off. Starting from Morston Quay and working my way towards Stiffkey Fen I found the bushes in this area fairly quiet this morning with just a handful of Chiffchaffs, Blackcaps and Whitethroats. Things began to pick up when two Spoonbills flew east over the saltmarsh and 14 Little Egrets circled over. A Hobby found perched in a field was scoped and turned out to be a very strikingly marked adult with a lovely deep red vent. A welcome sight after seeing several, more washed out immature type birds over the summer period.

Stiffkey Fen gave up the Pectoral Sandpiper quite quickly, although briefly, and there were exactly 20 Greenshanks present including a group of 14 roosting together. Probably my best ever count on one pool of water in Norfolk. Also about the same number of Ruff, two Common Sandpipers, one Green Sandpiper, one Dunlin, five Spoonbills, two Swifts, Common Buzzard and Reed Warbler.

The walk back to Morston produced a couple more noteworthy sightings represented by one each of the chats. A spotty-looking juvenile Stonechat and a handsome Whinchat which was dive-bombed by a Whitethroat in pursuit of an insect. An enjoyable mornings birding.

Titchwell Marsh- as you’ve never seen it before #2

Below is the view back to the Fen Hide, showing the two blinds which overlook Patsy’s.

I’ve also attached the updated reserve map, downloaded from their webpages.

It should be noted that the eastern segment (Autumn Trail) will only be accessible between the dates given.

Attachments

• 014pse.jpg
    014pse.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 143
  • Titchwell RSPB map.pdf
    710 KB · Views: 463
Common Swift

Common Swift over Unthank Road Norwich 18.50 02/09/2012. Could that be the last one seen over Norwich this year?

Cantley

I hadn't had a decent view of a Hobby all summer, then today I saw around 5 hunting and eating dragonflies on the wing at RSPB Cantley Marshes at midday today. Other raptors around at the time included 3 Buzzards and a soaring Sparrowhawk.

I found it hard to leave but I was heading to Cantley Factory. As I did I heard some distant "chip chip" calls and saw a distant flock of around 20 small birds flying west above tree top height towards Buckenham Carrs at around 12:15. I have a feeling they were possibly Crossbills but they were too distant to the eyes and ears to be sure. A bit of a long shot I know but if anyone else was in the area at the time and saw and heard them, please can you let me know.

At Cantley Sugar Beet Factory, there were around 3 Yellow Wagtails, 1 Juvenile Little Ringed Plover, 1 Greenshank, 20 Dunlin, 5+ Green Sandpiper, 1+ Common Sandpiper, Lots of Ruff and Lapwings.

Regards

Steve

Last edited:
Below is the view back to the Fen Hide, showing the two blinds which overlook Patsy’s. I’ve also attached the updated reserve map, downloaded from their webpages. It should be noted that the eastern segment (Autumn Trail) will only be accessible between the dates given.

Thanks, John!
MJB

Seems to be a decent hirundine movement today. With tea breaks taken in the garden (I need to take my ornithological kicks whenever I can!!), 175+ House Martins SW in a few 10 minute stints. Also 3 Common Buzzard SW at 1330...unusual from the house, so presumably migrants.

Let Os-prey!

Great views of an Osprey at Strumpshaw this lunchtime! I just went there to try out my new (S/H!) 500mm mirror lens!

Attachments

• Osp 4.jpg
    Osp 4.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 93
  • Osprey.jpg
    Osprey.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 103
  • Egret.jpg
    Egret.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 69

Users who are viewing this thread

Back