• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (32 Viewers)

Bit better today, Five Bramblings Great Yarmouth Cemetary. a Firecrest but mobile with Goldcrests flock, c40 Blackbirds
That was alot better than my day overall;):t: Although I did see the White-rumped Sandpiper from Dauke's hide at Cley late afternoon.

Full update on blog plus my 'Art Cafe' review:t:

Penny:girl:

A decent number of starlings late afternoon over the reedbeds and the nearby stubble fields at Cley, conservative guess would be 5 to 6 thousand birds swirling, chattering and plunging into t'reeds. A murmur I guess, round about 4pm.

Nice comparison pic of Shag & Cormorant

Are you sure that’s not just parent and offspring, Simon ? I don’t think I can tell the difference; one’s just bigger than the other, that’s all.

It doesn’t take much Aristotelian logic, or over-use of my carbo footprint, to work out that the one with the wings outstretched is trying to shepherd (or its anthropomorphic equivalent) the other away from the brink.

I fear a caption may be beyond my limited literary skills; however (and most unfortunately), I have been inspired (?) to pen another of my pomes.

The solicitous Cormoroid said: “I do fear
That my miniscule friend, this black bird, is too near
To that salt-laden wave,
And t’was quite a close shave:
For we almost did not have a Shag on the Pier.”

Last edited:
Morning all.
Birdguides reporting a Night Heron over Strumpshaw at dusk yesterday. Were there not reports of bird/s from last year?
Cheers,
Jim.

Morning all.
Birdguides reporting a Night Heron over Strumpshaw at dusk yesterday. Were there not reports of bird/s from last year?
Cheers,
Jim.

Yes, three were heard flying over Strumpshaw in early May last year.

I shall be having a look locally this evening in the hope that yesterday's bird made it this far up river.

James

Was at the fen at dawn this morning, coincidentally checked my pager when I got there and thought it was well timed for a change with the possibility of a night heron!
No sign of any possible Night Heron this morning though. I do not know who heard the bird but in my previous experience these unseen calling birds frequently turn out to be gull calling bitterns circling the fen (many people seem unfamiliar with a Bitterns call), I do hope I am proved wrong though!

2 Waxwings still on sandy wall near fen hide this morning, a nice image with the sun rising behind them although made photography tricky! Otter also put on a nice performance and it looks as if a white bellied Marsh harrier has moved into the fen. I wonder if this was one of the odd MR's I depicted earlier in the year in the North Broads? Still very odd looking.
In the words of Penny, update and more pics on my blog...

Attachments

• white belly MR.jpg
    white belly MR.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 174
  • otter am.jpg
    otter am.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 252
  • ww2 stm.jpg
    ww2 stm.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Was at the fen at dawn this morning, coincidentally checked my pager when I got there and thought it was well timed for a change with the possibility of a night heron!
No sign of any possible Night Heron this morning though. I do not know who heard the bird but in my previous experience these unseen calling birds frequently turn out to be gull calling bitterns circling the fen (many people seem unfamiliar with a Bitterns call), I do hope I am proved wrong though!

2 Waxwings still on sandy wall near fen hide this morning, a nice image with the sun rising behind them although made photography tricky! Otter also put on a nice performance and it looks as if a white bellied Marsh harrier has moved into the fen. I wonder if this was one of the odd MR's I depicted earlier in the year in the North Broads? Still very odd looking.
In the words of Penny, update and more pics on my blog...

Fantastic photo of the Otter, Ben.

Managed to count 75 Shags this evening on and around Cromer Pier but I'm sure there is still more than that present as there was a lot of movement in the flock and ones constantly coming and going and others on the sea.

Record shot attached of some of them, I think there is 66(?) in the shot from a quick count.

Simon

Attachments

• Shags3.jpg
    Shags3.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 290
There were staggering numbers of Shags around Cromer Pier

There were staggering numbers of Shags on the Pier;
So many of them, that most folks thought it queer.
Sixty-six on the slipway
(from photo today)
Brought Hitchcock’s “The Birds” to mind: something to fear ?

The highlights of the day were, as I suspected, hirundinally and at the start. At 1110h, 4 (possibly more) Swallows flew west over Salthouse Beach car park. Forty minutes later, 4 House Martins did the same. A Gramboro’ interlude produced up to 4 Robins, unringed female Stonechat and a Reed Bunting.

The helicopter flew at a dangerously low altitude (almost too low, to use this term) from the direction of Cley and close to the Salthouse duck-pond, putting up numerous waders and the feral Greylags. All it needed was a wayward goose and . . . !

More danger was observed in Wells Woods, where this tree top seems to have snapped off and is balanced precariously on small, broken branches. It is just to the west of the main track, N to the beach, from the main track W to Holkham, near the base of the sandy, rope-swingers’ slope. I reported it to the car park attendant, on my return there. He said he was going to the Estate Office and would alert them.

On a more pleasant note, this Jay posed briefly. No sign of any significant gatherings of tits, today.

Attachments

• 020pse.jpg
    020pse.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 001pse.jpg
    001pse.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 176
  • 029pse.jpg
    029pse.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 147
  • 031pse.jpg
    031pse.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 128
  • 034pse.jpg
    034pse.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 109
I went to Thorpe Station Marsh this afternoon to check for Short-eared Owls (it's about the time that one appeared last year), but there was no sign of one, or any Night Herons, by dusk. I did see a Sparrowhawk, a few Meadow Pipits, flyover Siskin and hundreds of gulls.

If anyone is going in the next few days I'd recommend wellies as the path is flooded near the cattle pen, although I've done you a favour by soaking up half of the water in my socks and boots.

No sign of any Night Herons in The Broads either James, but nonetheless a delightful afternoon till dusk wander. Best bits included 4 Barn Owls, 2 Kestrel, 2 Marsh Harrier, 7 Green Sandpiper, Grey Wagatil and finally a ringtail Hen Harrier through at dusk. Corvid roosts really picking up too.

Cheers,
Jim.

Edit- 3 Swallows near Rockland Broad, one certain juv so maybe a late brood?

At least 37 Shags roosted on Hunstanton Cliffs again tonight. The birds tend to gather and swim close inshore from late afternoon onwards, but they don't seem to settle on the cliffs until its nearly dark: getting those darvics read will be a struggle. I've managed to read just one so far, but several other birds are ringed. A Purple Sandpiper was on the beach too, foraging with the Turnstones and other waders.

Amur Falcon massacre in Nagaland

Thought it worth making users here aware of the barbaric acts occuring towards Amur Falcons in India.

http://www.conservationindia.org/campaigns/amur-massacre

One point that stands out is 12000-14000 Amur Falcons being killed EVERY DAY.
Imagine the outcry were this an act of crimes against humanity, yet we here little because its done to birds.
Hopefully won't be removed for not being to do with Norfolk as it is an important issue.

Hopefully won't be removed for not being to do with Norfolk as it is an important issue.

It should not be a stand-alone, but referred to, as part of a post on birding in County.

Another couple of hirundines today: 2 House Martins slowly west thru Salthouse at 1230h.

Again, it didn’t get much better than that, especially when caught out in heavy rain, despite a beautiful, complete rainbow north of Stiffkey. (Was so much rain forecast?) It got even worse, when I reached home, to find I’d unsuspectingly driven past a Waxwing at Weybourne; I almost knew I’d do this today.

A Peregrine & ringtail Hen Harrier at Warham Greens; plus a pesky Wren behaving badly and doing a fair imitation of a Radde’s soft calls. A Little Egret was still in possession of breeding plumes; this is something I thought I noticed on the Salthouse Great White, too.

Attachments

• 053pse.jpg
    053pse.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 026pse.jpg
    026pse.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 120
Top Draw Day!

A spectacular day - loads of good birds at Titchwell RSPB. 200+ Bramblings at Choseley and ended the day with watching 41 Shags fly straight over my head to roost in the cliffs at Hunstanton in the setting sun - absolutely stunning.:t:

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

“they spread out filling the air space and sailed right over our heads! They looked like pterodactyls flying over in the darkness!!! This spectacle was the icing on the cake” (from Penny’s blog yesterday).

Let’s hope they (the Shags) didn’t, literally, spread ‘icing’ over the people below.

I can’t seem to escape them; not that I’d want to: 2 House Martins hawking for flies outside my kitchen window (The Esplanade, Sheringham) at 0730h.

They then moved west, over the golf course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back