• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (4 Viewers)

"Let me entertain you"

I will be totally convinced of your argument the day I see a group of birders approaching the hides at Titchwell, dressed in Country innovation, sporting tilley hats, swaro bins and scope packs at the ready, uttering the words "your going to get your ******* head kicked in." QUOTE]

Mark, for a very refreshing change, part of your post really made me chuckle...I'd love to see that.

P.S. Would you like my recipe for a scrumptious endemic Norfolk vinegar shortbread? I kid you not, it is the deebees.

Pat

Last edited:
I will be totally convinced of your argument the day I see a group of birders approaching the hides at Titchwell, dressed in Country innovation, sporting tilley hats, swaro bins and scope packs at the ready, uttering the words "your going to get your ******* head kicked in." QUOTE]

Mark, for a very refreshing change, part of your post really made me chuckle...I'd love to see that.

P.S. Would you like my recipe for a scrumptious endemic Norfolk vinegar shortbread? I kid you not, it is the deebees.

Pat

http://www.edp24.co.uk/what-s-on/fo...t_dereham_cake_decorator_win_bronze_1_2022937 Amazing what you find if you google EDP, Dereham and cakes:)

Look at it this way Tideliner - give thanks to the inventors of pagers and all the other bird information technology, concentrates the hordes and allows you and me to go birding our way.

Ok Crapbirder if you want to use that sort of thing but i never do and always find my own birds.

Ps sorry about the late reply ,but i have been in the Broads for a few days playing with the pink feet so been offline since Thursday

Jim, You asked what my sighting might be for the last couple of days. Thursday was by far the best for migrants with loads of redwings a handfull of fieldfare's , plenty of reed buntings and bramblings a couple of yellow browed warblers and another warbler I could not get my head around , though was most likely just a eastern race of chiffchaff and a very distant view of a great grey shrike in the Bure valley. Friday great with amazing views of thousands of pinkfeet , bearded tits, a pair of kingfishers that sat perched on a broken reed stem within a few feet of me in the Wavenly valley until a third bird came along. The next day was quiet though the bitterns were on their usual pool all 3 of them, stacks of grey herons , they seemed to be a couple in almost every dyke and my third view of a Gt White egret from different parts of the county in the past week ( there must be a number about at the moment ) jack snipe and at dusk it was great to see good numbers of mallard comming into my own marsh at dusk ,black shapes apearing out of the darkness before one after the other to feed on the flooded grasses , but no wigeon, a bit early for them to visit this marsh yet , and though they were absent plenty of droppings indcated the pink feet have found the shallow flashes already. Got slightly lost though on my own marsh in the dark after taking a detour so as not to disturb the mallard and ended up in a meadow of rather agressive cows which was not much fun when you were not sure where the exit gate was.

As usual a couple of magic Broadland days and not another birdwatcher or indeed hardly another person all the time I was out except for my friend on the last day and a couple of marshmen to have a yarn with. No pagers or reports , just using your own knowledge of where the birds were likely to be and using fieldcraft to get good views of them.

Last edited:
Jim, You asked what my sighting might be for the last couple of days. Thursday was by far the best for migrants with loads of redwings a handfull of fieldfare's , plenty of reed buntings and bramblings a couple of yellow browed warblers and another warbler I could not get my head around , though was most likely just a eastern race of chiffchaff and a very distant view of a great grey shrike in the Bure valley. Friday great with amazing views of thousands of pinkfeet , bearded tits, a pair of kingfishers that sat perched on a broken reed stem within a few feet of me in the Wavenly valley until a third bird came along. The next day was quiet though the bitterns were on their usual pool all 3 of them, stacks of grey herons , they seemed to be a couple in almost every dyke and my third view of a Gt White egret from different parts of the county in the past week ( there must be a number about at the moment ) jack snipe and at dusk it was great to see good numbers of mallard comming into my own marsh at dusk ,black shapes apearing out of the darkness before one after the other to feed on the flooded grasses , but no wigeon, a bit early for them to visit this marsh yet , and though they were absent plenty of droppings indcated the pink feet have found the shallow flashes already. Got slightly lost though on my own marsh in the dark after taking a detour so as not to disturb the mallard and ended up in a meadow of rather agressive cows which was not much fun when you were not sure where the exit gate was.

As usual a couple of magic Broadland days and not another birdwatcher or indeed hardly another person all the time I was out except for my friend on the last day and a couple of marshmen to have a yarn with. No pagers or reports , just using your own knowledge of where the birds were likely to be and using fieldcraft to get good views of them.

Sounds awesome mate, thanks for sharing.

Inland Yellow-browed Warblers (if that's where you had them) not to be sniffed at; there was one down the road from me according to reports over the weekend. Some lovely marsh vistas there too.
I tend to bird South of the Yare and like yourself rarely see anyone, but must give the Waveney Valley more time. Hoping to investigate both Castle and Carlton Marshes over the half term holiday, over the border I know but more great habitat on my doorstep.

Cheers,
Jim.

Black Redstart in Cley churchyard this evening.

3 Arctic skuas east this evening in the short time I was there in a BIG ferocious sea!!! :eek!: Carpark could be flooded in morning when it switches NW tonight.

Penny:girl:

Can anyone point me to a downloadable map of cley (reserve) showing pool and hide names etc.
Thanks
Russ

Time was when you daren't set foot on the reserve unless you knew the name of every hide and pool. If you were told there's a Bittern showing well on Pat's and had to ask where that was you'd be ejected before you could put the caps back on your Swifts. ;)

Norfolk Bird & Mammal Report 2013

The 2013 Norfolk Bird & Mammal Report is now available.

Contents include:

Full systematic list
Review of the year
Birds in the Stiffkey Hall accounts
Cormorants in east Norfolk
The Thrigby White Storks
Willow Tits in south-west Norfolk
The December 2013 floods
A Red Kite roost
Winter Skylark flocks
Two-barred Crossbills in 2013
The Holt Parrot Crossbills
Ringing report

Copies can now be obtained as usual from the Cley NWT and Titchwell RSPB visitor centres and from the Norfolk & Norwich Naturalists' Society.

NNNS members and contributors to the Report will receive their free copy shortly.

Many thanks indeed to everyone who has contributed to this year's production.

So, assuming 11am at Holme is reasonably accurate, it took 2.5 hours for the Surf Scoter to fly from Spurn to Norfolk.
I'll let someone else work out its average mph ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back