• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Pigeon, South Yunnan, China (1 Viewer)

Dear Birders,

This time a tricky ID-request:
Today I was lucky to see this flock of rare (at least in China) green pigeons (more than 20) in Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanical Garden. Due to bad light conditions I could not see or photograph many details.
But the pigeons had a distinct blue crown, so I suspect it is Pompadour Green Pigeon (Treron pompadora) or Thick-billed Green Pigeon (Treron curvirostra). On pictures 2 and 3 it seems as if the flanks are barred white, this would rather indicate T. curvirostra. But I didn't see the "much trashing wings" mentioned by MacKinnon-Field Guide...

I "photoshopped" the pictures to highlight the few details which can be seen in the pictures (sorry for the bad quality).

Does anyone dare to make an ID? I'm grateful for any comment...

Yours,
David

Attachments

• DSCN8374.jpg
    DSCN8374.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCN8376.jpg
    DSCN8376.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN8377.jpg
    DSCN8377.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCN8378.jpg
    DSCN8378.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN8382.jpg
    DSCN8382.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 62
The White-bellied GP does not occur in Xishuangbanna (according to Mackinnon & Phillips). And it also does not have yellow wing bars, which are present in the pigeon I have seen.

David

Hi David,

Combination of plain face & thin-looking bill suggests Pompadour over Thick-billed to me - but not easy from the photos (typical green pigeon views!)

H

I'd go with Pompadour, mainly based on the top bird in the final photo having a distinctly "blue" head and the thickness of the bill in the second and third photo's - plus a general "feeling".
Chris

Ha, it is hard to keep up sometimes H - and I must admit I do hate them splitting birds when I haven't seen both ssp!!!! Most unfair ;)

Ooh, that's one I've got on you, then!
I must admit to being disappointed to find, on checking, that I failed to see Winter wren, as it was then, in California.

Ha, it is hard to keep up sometimes H - and I must admit I do hate them splitting birds when I haven't seen both ssp!!!! Most unfair ;)

Yes indeed! Somewhat annoyingly, the IOC have split the bugger into 6 species. I had to trawl through 3 old India note books last week before finally finding that I had seen Pomps (now Ashy-headed Green Pigeon) in the western Ghats. I can't even remember the experience.

The IOC list calls them

Sri Lanka Green Pigeon (retains name pompadora)
Grey-fronted Green Pigeon
Ashy-headed Green Pigeon
Andaman Green Pigeon
Philippine Green Pigeon
Buru Green Pigeon

I still need the last 2, anyone got the set?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back