• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barbet Masai Mara Dec. 2011 (1 Viewer)

jmercer

Is this a D'Arnaud's Barbet? There appears to be no red on the top of the upper tail coverts.

Attachments

• Barbet_1841.JPG
    Barbet_1841.JPG
    231.8 KB · Views: 79
My other guess was Usambiro Barbet, the description in the book says it does not have red on the upper tail cover, but the picture in the book is such that you cannot see either the upper or lower tail covers. Any experience with Usambiro?

Last edited:
Well, short term you can choose the position of the world wide checklists (Clements and H&M) which do not split these as species ...

Niels

The best feature (of not calling) is the colour of the beak - black in Usamiro and horn in D'Arnauld's. Then Usambiro never has a black cap or bib (only adult male D'Arnauld's does, mind) and, yes, it has less red. I can't really see the bill in this picture too well, nor the head and certainly not the bib! But from what I can see it could be a black bill with a bit of shine and doesn't seem to have any black on the head (like a female/juv d'Arnaud's). THese, combined with range suggest it's probably Usambiro.

Do these pictures help, I did not chose this originally because it does not show the rump and is a little out of focus

Attachments

• barbet_1840.JPG
    barbet_1840.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Barbet_1839.JPG
    Barbet_1839.JPG
    275.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Ah ha! The bill colour does vary slightly seasonally, with age and around the edge of the range. These look paler than some, but certainly not the pale horn on a breeding d'Arnauld's (I do think d'Arnauld's bills can be this grey too when not breeding, so it's a bit in between), but the two together clearly show a pair of Usambiro Barbets - male on the right. The emini race of d'Arnauld's is the one in southern Kenya and norther TZ and the male has a jet black cap and heavier bib. This, typical of Usambiro, shows a small black bib and no black cap at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back