• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Plover from Indonesia (1 Viewer)

Oleg Chernyshov

I took these pictures in November 2012 in Flores (Indonesia), south of Labuan Bajo.
Thanks for the help,
Oleg

Attachments

• 8230355612_e7e012f1e4_b.jpg
    8230355612_e7e012f1e4_b.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 192
  • 8229290773_cce82f0bcc_b.jpg
    8229290773_cce82f0bcc_b.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 102
I took these pictures in November 2012 in Flores (Indonesia), south of Labuan Bajo.
Thanks for the help,
Oleg

Greater Sand Plover is my first reaction, but I have heard lone birds can be tricky. The first photo seems to show a long, heavy bill, but it looks more lightweight in the second shot. The palish legs might be more pro Greater, too.

Not birded that side of the world or seen either species anywhere else, but GSP would be my guess.

Kieran

Last edited:
Maybe it is a Javan Plower?

I didn't consider it at the time Oleg, as I saw the collar, and didn't think they looked too gingery around the cap, ear coverts and breast sides. Looking again..., and the rather pale legs.
No field experience of Javan so I couldn't disagree with Stuart.

Edit, Oh James as well, it looked quite dark on my monitor 8-P

Last edited:
I didn't consider it at the time Oleg, as I saw the collar, and didn't think they looked too gingery around the cap, ear coverts and breast sides. Looking again..., and the rather pale legs.
No field experience of Javan so I couldn't disagree with Stuart.

Edit, Oh James as well, it looked quite dark on my monitor 8-P

No excuses needed! Javan Plover was actually once considered a subspecies of Kentish, quite amazingly. It was once thought to be endemic to Java and Bali, but has now been found breeding in south Sumatra, and all the way east to Flores, Sumba, Sulawesi and Timor. Good vagrancy potential to Australia I reckon..

James

Any records from further west? Are we going to get another dealbatus where they start popping up all over the place?

Dear friends! Of course I am very happy that I was able to make pictures of Javan Plover in Flores.
Thank you all for the help and clarification.
Oleg

Any records from further west? Are we going to get another dealbatus where they start popping up all over the place?

You never know, but I doubt it, they don't seem to move around too much, sedentary with some minor movements I guess - though dependings on the habitat loss on Java I guess - they could push them further afield - though the lapwings didn't seem to go anywhere!

J

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back