• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible Hanuman Plover. Yala, Sri Lanka. Nov 23 (2 Viewers)

stuartelsom

United Kingdom
Attached are a couple of images of the best-marked 'white-headed' Kentish type Plovers we saw at Yala in November. Opinion sought on ID as Hanuman Plover C. a. seebohmi as the references to this species/sub-species I've located don't seem to help.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Stu

Attachments

• Plover sp O6A4113.jpg
    Plover sp O6A4113.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 81
  • Plover spp O6A4127.jpg
    Plover spp O6A4127.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 81
You're looking at... the extent of white on the forehead? - or what? It seems pretty easy to find photos of Kentish plovers across southern Asia that have as much white on the forehead as these.
It's not something I'd bother with, but... you could just find some Sri Lankan breeders and tick them?

Attached are a couple of images of the best-marked 'white-headed' Kentish type Plovers we saw at Yala in November. Opinion sought on ID as Hanuman Plover C. a. seebohmi as the references to this species/sub-species I've located don't seem to help.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Stu
Can't access original paper. However, there's this:

"They found that these birds tended to have smaller wings, tails and beaks than the Kentish plover, as well as different plumage. The Kentish plover tends to have black legs in both sexes, while the Hanuman plover has dark grey legs. Males have a black stripe across their forehead that C. alexandrinus doesn't."

(Dark grey vs black... Should be easy...)

Can't access original paper. However, there's this:

"They found that these birds tended to have smaller wings, tails and beaks than the Kentish plover, as well as different plumage. The Kentish plover tends to have black legs in both sexes, while the Hanuman plover has dark grey legs. Males have a black stripe across their forehead that C. alexandrinus doesn't."

(Dark grey vs black... Should be easy...)
Breeding male seebohmi lack the chestnut cap of alexandrinus while the black forehead bar and loral stripes average weaker, the latter sometimes absent. ML379589661 - Kentish Plover (Hanuman) - Macaulay Library compare ML229567321 - Kentish Plover - Macaulay Library Difference in leg colour is also quoted, seebohmi grey versus alexandrinus black, but very much doubt it's reliable.

Grahame

Breeding male seebohmi lack the chestnut cap of alexandrinus while the black forehead bar and loral stripes average weaker, the latter sometimes absent. ML379589661 - Kentish Plover (Hanuman) - Macaulay Library compare ML229567321 - Kentish Plover - Macaulay Library Difference in leg colour is also quoted, seebohmi grey versus alexandrinus black, but very much doubt it's reliable.

Grahame
If I read you correctly you say the black forehead bar is the opposite way around to the quote. Is it what you intended?

If I read you correctly you say the black forehead bar is the opposite way around to the quote. Is it what you intended?
That is indeed correct, the article you post has it the wrong way round i.e head pattern of nominate is far more distinctive than seebohmi. See also Birds of South Asia (Rasmussen).

Grahame

Thanks for the replies.
So on what you've written would any of you like to have a go at ID'ing the birds in question?
Thanks
Stu

Q

Well... Given that the ID criteria seem hazy, the birds aren't in full breeding plumage, and the photo-quality is low (no offence)... No (obviously).
You are answering 'no' for 'Would any of you...' ?

Given you already said you wouldn't bother in post 2, maybe others might be more inclined 🙂

You are answering 'no' for 'Would any of you...' ?
Yes (that was the question I quoted).
you already said you wouldn't bother in post 2
Actually, I said I wouldn't bother with 'just find[ing] some Sri Lankan breeders and tick[ing] them' (as to do so would seem a rather sterile ID exercise, but is a ticking option). But this was said before there was further ID discussion, and it was a response to this later discussion that Stu requested and I provided.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back