Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 28th February 2017, 18:15   #1
Ducksanddogs

New to Digiscoping - Need Adapter Help

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and also new to digiscoping. I have the new model of the Vortex Razor HD 65mm spotter and Nikon D90. I'd love to figure out how to use them together to capture some of the wildlife Montana has to offer.

A member on here mentioned potentially selling the Vortex digiscoping adapter and I believe that would solve my problems. However, I haven't heard anything back (sent a PM a few days ago and just replied to the thread today) so I'm going to start doing some additional research into other avenues.

Can anyone suggest a way to pair these two devices? I'd much prefer a DIY option if such exists; however, I'm not opposed to buying the adapter if needed.

Thanks in advance!
Old Wednesday 1st March 2017, 13:44   #2
Paul Corfield

That sort of adapter would probably give you the best image quality as it allows you to keep the lens on the camera. They mention using a 50mm lens with the adapter but that might be a bit much for a 65mm scope. Dropping down to a 35mm or 28mm prime lens might be better as it will give a brighter image, higher shutter speeds etc. The prices for the adapter when purchased new seem a bit high for what it is. If you can get a cheaper used one, complete with the extra adapter rings then it would probably be worth it. Hopefully the other member will get back to you.

Paul.
Old Wednesday 1st March 2017, 17:39   #3
Ducksanddogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Corfield View Post
That sort of adapter would probably give you the best image quality as it allows you to keep the lens on the camera. They mention using a 50mm lens with the adapter but that might be a bit much for a 65mm scope. Dropping down to a 35mm or 28mm prime lens might be better as it will give a brighter image, higher shutter speeds etc. The prices for the adapter when purchased new seem a bit high for what it is. If you can get a cheaper used one, complete with the extra adapter rings then it would probably be worth it. Hopefully the other member will get back to you.

Paul.

Thanks for the advice, Paul. I also have the 85mm Razor HD scope - do you think that would work better? Ultimately, I'm just trying to find a way to get some good wildlife shots without breaking the bank. While the prices do seem a bit high, they're MUCH more reasonable than a lens capable of those same images.

Since I have the 50mm, 65mm, and 85mm Razors, I figured an adaptor would probably put me in a position to be able to take some decent photos when I'm in the field.
Old Wednesday 1st March 2017, 19:09   #4
Paul Corfield

The 85mm would let in much more light and should certainly allow the use of a 50mm lens on the camera. Try hand holding the camera behind the eyepiece of the scope when it's focused on a target and take some photos. That would let you see what you can expect if you had a dedicated adapter.

Paul.
Old Wednesday 8th March 2017, 01:58   #5
Ducksanddogs

Bringing this back up as the member selling the Vortex camera adapter set had already sold it.

I'd really like to find a good adapter that I can use with all three scopes. Any additional advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Sunday 19th March 2017, 13:12   #6
Ducksanddogs

Revisiting this topic as I still haven't found a solution.

Thanks.
Old Sunday 7th May 2017, 01:46   #7
lmans66

You should use the larger scope....digiscoping with any camera depends highly on the light and the larger the scope, the more light. The light is 'cut back' when passing thru the scope to the camera on the outside of the eyepiece, so that is where you lose the light. I have always used the larger scope.

Jury rig it ....in the old days, and I am talking about when I first started digiscoping in the mid 90's, there was 'nothing out there, but an idea'.....and it was fun to improvise. Go to the hardware story and get PVC pipe and cut it up, etc etc..tape, etc...and see what comes of it. A challenge but it was done before.

Then came adapters meant for digiscoping and now, there is the phone adapter. So there are options

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: