• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK dragonflies and damselflies, 2014 (1 Viewer)

A day out in Kent. A trip to Marshside near Reculver at 9.30am yesterday produced quite a few Willow emeralds and amongst the Many Blue-tailed damsels were several Small red-eyes. Then onto Cliffe Rspb. At TQ721 779 we found 8+ Southern emerald, loads of Scarce emerald plus Migrant & Southern hawker. Ruddy darters were everywhere. A great day for dragon hunting. 12 species today.

We've got a week in Pembrokeshire in the first week of August, based in Broad Haven. Any top tips for sites to visit for Odonata (or butterflies)? Know the birding sites pretty well. Thanks.

Many thanks to all for providing information on sites in particular Mark and John it was very much appreciated. Though we had good weather in general it was a bit windy for dragonflies. Welsh Wildlife Centre near Cardigan was about the best place I tried, I also thought Dowrog Common would have been a place on a better day, but wellies are a must. Found BDS site quite useful for information as well.

Many thanks again.

A day out in Kent. A trip to Marshside near Reculver at 9.30am yesterday produced quite a few Willow emeralds and amongst the Many Blue-tailed damsels were several Small red-eyes. Then onto Cliffe Rspb. At TQ721 779 we found 8+ Southern emerald, loads of Scarce emerald plus Migrant & Southern hawker. Ruddy darters were everywhere. A great day for dragon hunting. 12 species today.

Yeah 'twas a good day! Highlights:

emerald willow (13) (Medium).JPGemerald southern (6) (Medium).JPGemerald scarce (9) (Medium).JPGdamsel smallredeyed (6) (Medium).JPGdarter ruddy (7) (Medium).JPG

Also this lovely Red-veined Darter was at Medmerry RSPB, West Sussex on Thursday 10th July late afternoon, at the open end of the ditch westwards from the carpark at Earnley. Went back later and couldn't refind it. There were 3 reported a couple of weeks earlier which I'd looked for the following day and failed to find so it was very nice when this one came and landed at my feet....unfortunately I couldn't get another angle on it

darter redveined (2) (Medium).jpg

Hopefully the first of many records to come, fingers crossed. I hope Cliffe gets a few records in the next few weeks.

Marc

Anyone out there know of reliable sites in the Windermere area of the Lake District for Beautiful Demoiselle and/or Keeled Skimmer? Preferably with reasonably easy access as I'll have the family in tow.

Thanks

Alan M

I was just wondered if anyone could recommend a good site for Small Red-eyed Damselfly near north London? I was going to try the Lee Valley, possibly around Fisher's Green / Cornmill Dragonfly Sanctuary. Hoping to photograph the species. Regards, Phil

I was just wondered if anyone could recommend a good site for Small Red-eyed Damselfly near north London? I was going to try the Lee Valley, possibly around Fisher's Green / Cornmill Dragonfly Sanctuary. Hoping to photograph the species. Regards, Phil

If its not too much further I've heard the ponds at Bluewater are reliable.

However, given how common the little blighters are in Hampshire now I'd be amazed if they aren't easy in the Lea valley.

John

If its not too much further I've heard the ponds at Bluewater are reliable.

However, given how common the little blighters are in Hampshire now I'd be amazed if they aren't easy in the Lea valley.

John

Thanks John. I'll try locally first. If I say we're off the Bluewater, it could get expensive! Phil

Thanks John. I'll try locally first. If I say we're off the Bluewater, it could get expensive! Phil

I don't know any North London sites (I'm sarf of the river, innit), but Bedford Park (Romford), Sutcliffe Park (Lewisham/Eltham) in E/SE London are both good. As John says, Bluewater is excellent: the N end of the western lake (the one with an exercise area and proper path).

James

I see per BDS there's an 18th July Southerrn Mig Hawker sighting at Wat Tyler. Anyone heard of any sightings since (there or elsewhere in UK?)

There was a female at chafford gorges (not far from wat tyler) a fortnight back. On facebook then uk dragons i think. And one in pembrokes i think?

Rvd

A male Red-veined Darter at Badminston GP (Hants) this morning. I was on my way back to the car so didn't have a chance to search for others.

Attachments

• 7DB_1127.jpg
    7DB_1127.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 57
Today at Thursley:

Emperor - plenty including some keeping to predictable patrol lines at Pudmore Pond (good for pix)
Brown Hawker - several at the Moat offering photo-opps: patrolling, females ovipositing, even hanging up!
Four-spots - still lots
Keeled Skimmer - loads
Black-tailed Skimmer - loads
Black Darter - lots of full adults including pairs hanging up
Common Darter - quite a few
Brilliant Emerald - at least one still at the Moat
Small Red
Emerald
Azure
Common Blue

A decent day out!

John

I don't know any North London sites (I'm sarf of the river, innit), but Bedford Park (Romford), Sutcliffe Park (Lewisham/Eltham) in E/SE London are both good. As John says, Bluewater is excellent: the N end of the western lake (the one with an exercise area and proper path).

James

Thanks James and John,

Plenty of Small Red-eyed Damselflies at Bluewater today. We noticed that even the smaller pond by Pizza Express (and right by the shopping centre) had them as well. Generally seems a good place to photograph common species. Good numbers of Black-tailed Skimmers, Brown Hawkers and Emperors. Phil

Anyone know some reliable sites around Sidmouth, Devon for Common Hawker & Golden-ringed Dragonfly? (And any other species I can't see in Norfolk!)
I'll happily reciprocate gen for anyone visiting Norfolk!

Last edited:
Thanks James and John,

Plenty of Small Red-eyed Damselflies at Bluewater today. We noticed that even the smaller pond by Pizza Express (and right by the shopping centre) had them as well. Generally seems a good place to photograph common species. Good numbers of Black-tailed Skimmers, Brown Hawkers and Emperors. Phil

Glad you scored. Hope the credit card didn't get too battered.

John

Glad you scored. Hope the credit card didn't get too battered.

John

Not unscathed. Slight exaggeration but press-ganged into buying new shirt for the pub last night that apparently 'I desperately needed'. Never mind the 400mm lens or a SX50 that I think I need.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back