• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are these damselflies both males? (1 Viewer)

Debbie1905

Hi all, I have just started looking at dragonflies etc. I found my first banded demoiselles (I think). They appeared to be mating, but when I looked at my pics, it seems that they are both males. Have I ID'd them correctly? If so, what is going on?
Many thanks, Deborah

Attachments

• Male banded demoiselles.jpg
    Male banded demoiselles.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
You've identified your first 2 male Banded Demoiselles correctly. Not sure exactly what's happening, but the rear of the top male's abdomen isn't where it would be in a coupling of male & female, where he would attach to the rear of her thorax. Maybe some type of male aggression?

There are some species where males are known for grabbing any passing damselfly, without worrying too much about species or gender, and then letting it go if it's not the right type. I've not heard of banded demoiselle doing that, and I've also not heard f there being females with male colouring. And yet the individual that's been grabbed does seem to be acting like a female. Fascinating images, and definitely worth sharing with your county recorder to see if they can tell you any more. I've watched a lot of banded demoiselles over the years and have never seen anything like this.

I am so glad to have captured something interesting in my first foray into looking at these creatures! Thank you both for your replies, I will definitely contact the county recorder.

Very interesting. I haven't seen it (that I can remember) with demoiselles.

I looked it up in Corbet and there were 16 species from 7 genera where two-male tandems had been reported at the time the book was published (2004) - which is not a very large % of the 6373 species in the world!

A little more common are triples (m/m/f) e.g. this one of Ruddy Darter from the 'Canvey Island ditch'

Attachments

• 600D_19751.jpg
    600D_19751.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 12
Very interesting. I haven't seen it (that I can remember) with demoiselles.

I looked it up in Corbet and there were 16 species from 7 genera where two-male tandems had been reported at the time the book was published (2004) - which is not a very large % of the 6373 species in the world!

A little more common are triples (m/m/f) e.g. this one of Ruddy Darter from the 'Canvey Island ditch'
What a great shot!

Sorry for the delay in responding. I have no idea how to upload to YouTube and add a link to it here, but I will have a go in the next couple of days. Thank you for all your replies.

Wow. That looks like the one in front has grabbed a male instead of a female and is refusing to let go, while the one behind is trying to free himself. Really remarkable.

Glad I caught something interesting. I was just glad to get a bit of video and a couple of snaps of a damselfly! Didn't even know they were both males until I looked them up when I got home.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back