• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In Search Of The Black Necked Grebe (1 Viewer)

Upland Birder

Birding On The Edge
Today I crossed the border from the Staffordshire Moorlands for a few hours birding at Carsington Water, Derbyshire.

It was a cold frosty sunlit morning across the Moorlands and I could see the Wrekin and North Wales Hills from a high point bwtween Ipstones Edge and the Weaver Hills. The wooded Churnet Valley below me and the low lying hills were and looked remote and very striking in their detail.

Made my way to Ashbourne and then on to Carsington. I was there in 30 minutes.

Carsington Water was very still with there being no wind or breeze about.

Initially I walked to the Sheepwash hide and as I looked out from the hide a solitary Redshank walked past me following the waters edge.

Out on the water close to where I was watching I saw a Goldeneye close to the hide being stalked by a Black Headed Gull. The Gull in winter plumage seemed to follow the Goldeneye and when the latter dived knew where it would emeerge from the water. When this happened the Gull pounced on the Goldeneye. This went on for a while and the Goldeneye managed the situation well.

It was very peaceful in the hide and for a while there was no one else present.

Through my scope I spoted a Common Snipe feeding further along the shore close to a number of Wigeon. Further out on a grassy bank I saw four more Common Snipe feeding amongst many Wigeon.

Although the water was very calm occassionally small ripples would lap against the shore. This water is quite high up in the hills and when it is misty in Matlock or Ashbourne you can be in the sun here and above the clouds.

Further out on the water were many Black Headed Gulls, Coot and Moorhen. I saw a number of Teal, many Lapwing, a crow, a number of Great Crested Grebe, Little Grebe, Pintail, Tufted Duck, Shoveler, Ruddy Duck.

A number of Cormorant were suning and preening themselves on a small island along with Lesser Black Backed Gulls.

This is a good place for Gull watching and it attracts large numbers including a number of interesting species.

A number of Buzzards were circling on the thermals in the far distance above wooded hills.

I watched a Great Spotted Woodpecker on a tall dead tree, a tree standing in water. This was an excellent site and when I pointed it out to a very young birdwatcher who was with his dad both were enthralled. I quietly left them in their own world and moved on.

The sun, the woodland, the sound of birdsong, Snow Drops, a joyous moment to behold. Spring I knew was either already here or just around the corner.

In the woodland by these hides I saw a number of Robin, Blue and Great Tits, Chaffinch, Magpie, Wood Pigeon, a Wren and some lovely Tree Sparrows.

I walked to the Paul Stanley Hide and for a while watched a
the solitary Black Necked Grebe. In the scope this bird looked fantastic and those eyes !!!

Common names for this bird around the country include Black Grebe; Eared Grebe; Lesser Crested Grebe; and Rolling Pin in Sussex.

It was good to watch this winter bird in this northern part of the country.

Next this week (a little birding before work) I will be on another quest to locate the Great Northern Diver on Carsington Water.

Dean

Cheadle Birder

Last edited:
Glad you got the grebe Dean.

I have to say, I was sinfully absent from Carsington today, but I did get a little photography done.

Next time we'll have to see about getting you that Diver.

Matthew

Attachments

• blue tit.jpg
    blue tit.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 90
  • reed bunting female.jpg
    reed bunting female.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 87
  • reed bunting male.jpg
    reed bunting male.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 91
  • willow tit.JPG
    willow tit.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 90
mcapper said:
Glad you got the grebe Dean.

I have to say, I was sinfully absent from Carsington today, but I did get a little photography done.

Next time we'll have to see about getting you that Diver.

Matthew

Hi Mat,

Great photo's. I will certainly be looking for the Diver this week but it will mean an early start before work. I know where it was seen today but thought I would wait until a week day when there will be less human activity further down the the water by the Visitor Centre.

Speak to you soon. Keep that kettle primed!!

I had a really pleasant few hours birding today. Great hides as well.

Dean

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back