• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beautiful ducks in the UK (1 Viewer)

condor1992

Spain
If I asked anyone what they thought was the prettiest duck in the UK, the answer I would probably get, much to my displeasure, would be the Mandarin ducks. But I cannot argue that these things are absolutely stunningly beautiful. I used to frequent Thetford Forest a lot, and a pair of these has lived for years near Santon Downham.
The first time I saw a Mandarin, it was in a bird guide when I was around 10 years old. It was on the same page as another jaw-droppingly beautiful duck was. And, back then, I immediately knew which duck was the prettiest in my eyes. And it was not a Mandarin. I always thought the wood duck was prettier. I liked both the shape better, and the lovely green colour of the bird more than the Mandarin colours.
Unfortunately, the situation with the wood duck in the UK is much more difficult. It was introduced, much like the Mandarin, but unlike the Mandarin, its self-sustaining population has almost died out, with 0-5 birds breeding each year, and most seen in the UK are escapes. This made it an even more appealing target in my eyes. Unfortunately, finding out where it lurked was easier said than done. But then I learned of a wood duck male which had been living in the company of mallards for the past few years. I found it without issue, getting extremely close views of the incredibly beautiful bird.
IMG_6749.JPG
No wonder a lot of people consider this America's favourite duck. The beauty of this small duck is absolutely extraordinary, and having it in the UK, even in an introduced free-ranging capacity, is a massive privilege in my eyes, except it of course isn't doing so well as it used to anymore. Although there is one very small flock in the south still remaining. This particular bird, however, is missing part of its wing. It is known to have escaped from captivity, and now lives in the wild, so that is good enough for me. But whoever did that to the bird, cutting off half of one of its wings, is complete scum and a lowlife of mega proportions. Even then, that didn't stop this wood duck from surviving for so long and actually moving around the area regardless, avoiding predators. Perhaps it can still fly, though not likely. But that makes me admire this duck even more. It is a survivor.
IMG_6766.JPG
Wood duck done with, which as soon as I was done ironically swam quickly away, I turned to Stocker's Lake amidst reports that a smew was seen there. A smew is another incredibly beautiful duck, almost pure white in appearance, with pretty black patterns, and unlike the wood duck actually winters in the UK, spending its summer deep in boreal forests in northern Europe. However, once I got to the lake and was greeted by a massive swarm of gulls on the water, I realised finding it would be easier said than done. There were too many gulls out there.
Whilst trying to check for smew, I noticed a few goldeneye, but didn't recognise what they were until quite a bit later. I was always interested in these, particularly in how amusing they looked with their disproportionately large heads. I was walking around the area for a very long time trying to see the smew, but could not see it anywhere. But eventually my patience paid off- I spotted it in the distance. Initially, it was very far away and lurking in dense branches, but then swam out to the open just as I went to get a closer look. It then started splashing about in the middle of the lake.
Returning to my previous point, I got some really nice photos of it, though of course a bit distant- a goldeneye also swam through the view as I did so! And also had some really nice views of great crested grebes.
IMG_7104.JPG
This year has been off to a mammoth start. Over the course of a month and a half, I have seen two species which I wanted to see for several years and which I thought were gone (Lady Amherst's pheasant and wood duck), saw a long-eared owl in the UK, got a tremendous photo of a short-eared owl and seen many other interesting things. But the only thing that can beat last year's bearded vulture is a Spanish imperial eagle, or on the other hand something similarly incredible, like a bald ibis, or vagrant king eider or Baikal teal, which I will be hunting voraciously whenever news appears next season.

Wood Duck was never there - all the records are of escapes or non-self-sustaining temporary feral gatherings. Cat E bird, not on the British List.

John

Wood Duck was never there - all the records are of escapes or non-self-sustaining temporary feral gatherings. Cat E bird, not on the British List.

John
According to multiple sources a self-sustaining population did persist in Surrey, and possibly some other places. If your source is the BOU, don't be surprised if I say 'I do not consider that source reliable'

According to multiple sources a self-sustaining population did persist in Surrey, and possibly some other places. If your source is the BOU, don't be surprised if I say 'I do not consider that source reliable'
I have lived on the Hants-Surrey border since 1964 and over the years I've seen loads of Mandarins and no Wood Ducks, so pardon me if I think you are talking through your hat.

John

I'm always blown away with the beauty of many of our native Ducks. Though a birder, photography has offered me close up intricate beauty, binoculars & scope didn't.
I agree Mandarins & Wood Ducks are stunning but over the years in breeding season some other Ducks blew me away.
Over the last week I took shots of Eurasian Teal & Goldeneye in full courtship display.
What stunners they both are....

Attachments

• _DSC0798_3.jpg
    _DSC0798_3.jpg
    1,000.4 KB · Views: 17
  • _DSC5926_1~2.jpg
    _DSC5926_1~2.jpg
    633.6 KB · Views: 17
I'm always blown away with the beauty of many of our native Ducks. Though a birder, photography has offered me close up intricate beauty, binoculars & scope didn't.
I agree Mandarins & Wood Ducks are stunning but over the years in breeding season some other Ducks blew me away.
Over the last week I took shots of Eurasian Teal & Goldeneye in full courtship display.
What stunners they both are....
I agree with that as well. My favourite native duck is the eider due to its beauty, and my favourite vagrant has to be the Baikal teal

I always enjoy watching mallards 🤷‍♀️, I like their noises.
That being said - I absolutely love that wood duck, how stunning!! And of course Mandarins and Teals are also beautiful

How can a drake Harlequin not be the most beautiful to grace our waters? I too, never saw a feral Wood duck having lived in Berkshire for nearly forty years and birded many of the wet open lakes and waters in Surrey.

How can a drake Harlequin not be the most beautiful to grace our waters? I too, never saw a feral Wood duck having lived in Berkshire for nearly forty years and birded many of the wet open lakes and waters in Surrey.
It is subjective. Harlequins are pretty, but are absolute basic ducks compared to king eider, in my eyes, the beauty of which is incredible, but in turn surpassed in my eyes by Baikal teal, then wood duck. Mandarins are even more extravagantly coloured, but wood ducks in my eyes are the prettiest ducks I know of, for a lot of reasons.

What does ebird say, for those of us that don't use it?
You don't have to use it to see the records. Just go to "explore" from the website.

One has to be careful in interpreting its records, though, especially with something as widely kept as wood duck. For example, people routinely report the London parks collection birds as though they were wild when they're not. And that's not to mention all the misidentifications (less likely with wood duck..?)

I'm unclear that there's a self-sustaining wood duck population. If there is it's never been large. So the question must be "why not?" Its close relative mandarin has been an unqualified success...

I'm unclear that there's a self-sustaining wood duck population. If there is it's never been large. So the question must be "why not?" Its close relative mandarin has been an unqualified success...
I read that Wood Duck is less successful than Mandarin in Britain because their brooding behaviour is adapted to warmer spring and summer temperatures. The females spend less time on the eggs and young than female Mandarins.

David

My favourite bird colour scheme is black and white so for this purpose Smew takes my vote.

However I agree with the elegance of Pintail, the always cheerful look of Shovelers, and when the sun catches them right, the beautiful iridescence on Goldeneyes.

There's a difference between Most Beautiful, Prettiest, Most Elegant etc ...

One person's most beautiful may be someone else's most garish ...

Many wildfowl are understatedly attractive close-up or in right circumstances. Would have to give it some thought, but agree Mandarin takes some beating in the wow stakes ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back