• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vireo sp - Nova Scotia, Canada (1 Viewer)

bobermay

Hello everyone, I'm just a bit stumped on this vireo sp. that I saw on an island off the coast of Nova Scotia in May.

At first we identified it as a philidelphia vireo, however after examination of my photos I'm leaning towards Warbling. The individual i saw this bird with believes it is still a Philidelphia vireo, but I would have expected more yellow on it's breast. She says that there was more yellow on it before it got wet, but I would have thought it would have only made the birds breast look more yellow.

Anyways, any help would be much appreciated, and and explanation behind it would be awesome!

Two images were posted on my blog. I have lots more if you need it.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nMjoSkTuLi8/UbXc4xio74I/AAAAAAAAAbE/Q9hpauR31tI/s1600/Vireo+V.JPG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-FVoDSNSsVV4/UbXc3cVMpoI/AAAAAAAAAa8/ra53kUNBpV0/s1600/Vireo+IV.JPG

Thanks,

Brennan

I am leaning toward the Warbling Vireo as I think the Philadelphia would show more dark feathering in the lores. Tough call though!

Warbling for me - Philly in spring (i.e., not worn) has a good dark eye-line, more yellow in the breast.

Thank you for your input.

Here are two more images that might better display the lores.

Attachments

• IMG_2169 (1600x1066).jpg
    IMG_2169 (1600x1066).jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2203 (1600x1069).jpg
    IMG_2203 (1600x1069).jpg
    413 KB · Views: 51
I think it's a Warbling Vireo: the crown does not contrast with the back, the lores are light, the supercilium appears to wide for Philadelphia (Natl. Geo guide 6th edition), and what yellow there is on the underparts seems to be mostly on the flanks.

Warbling for me - Philly in spring (i.e., not worn) has a good dark eye-line, more yellow in the breast.

Philadelphia and Warbling undergo a full molt on the breeding grounds, so are in freshest plumage in the autumn. They are undergoing molt right now.

I think it's a Warbling Vireo: the crown does not contrast with the back, the lores are light, the supercilium appears to wide for Philadelphia (Natl. Geo guide 6th edition), and what yellow there is on the underparts seems to be mostly on the flanks.

Philadelphia and Warbling undergo a full molt on the breeding grounds, so are in freshest plumage in the autumn. They are undergoing molt right now.
Well pointed out! The photos are from May, however... so the birds would not be quite as ratty as they are in August.

In addition to the mentioned features one can can just see, in the second pic, that the reduced primary 10 is longer than the primary coverts. In Philadelphia p10 is shorter than the primary coverts

JanJ

Attachments

• phvi_HYU_wavi_HYU_091509-2.jpeg
    phvi_HYU_wavi_HYU_091509-2.jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 55
  • phvi_HYU_wavi_HYU_091509-19.jpeg
    phvi_HYU_wavi_HYU_091509-19.jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 45
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back