• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Along the river into town... great stretch for wildlife! (1 Viewer)

Fozzybear

Ich bin ein Vogelbeobachter
I took another walk into town along the river Chelmer this morning, rather a grey day but very productive for just a short stretch of river. When I walked out onto the Baddow Meads flood-meadow I got a close, if brief, view of a Jay that was sitting on the railings of a footbridge but quickly flew off when it saw me. Walking along the river I saw a pair of Cormorants flying overhead, on one of the power lines a Kestrel was perched and Magpies were here and there on the ground and on the power lines too. I spotted a little burrow on a hidden little bank, not sure what it might be from, was difficult to see it and it was up the vertical bank, maybe 3 inches across at most. I wonder if it could be a Kingfisher hole, it doesn't look like a mammal hole to me.

On under the road bridge and as I approached Springfield Lock I startled a group of Little Grebes, most of which vanished but one stuck around on the far side of the river and I watched it for quite some time. A number of Swans flew downstream, very low to the water and wings whistling as they flew. Two landed and swam upstream again, upending to feed along the way. I passed moorhens and also a coot, which I don't often see on the river here, was interesting to see one. I saw a Sparrowhawk flying south from the direction of the town centre and then looking downstream through my binoculars I spotted a Kingfisher sitting on the outstretched branch of a willow. I was some way off but had a go at taking a photo with my little compact camera aimed through my binoculars. The quality was pretty awful but the turquoise really shone out.

As I approached the Essex Record Office and the town centre I stopped to watch the Black-headed gulls on the river that were making little fishing dives, something I always really like to see as I think BH gulls are great little birds. I walked up the grassy slope next to the sluice gate and disturbed a Green Woodpecker, which flew off a little way and then started poking around in the undergrowth for a minute or two before flying away with a yaffle. Crossing the rickety old bridge to the north side of the river I scanned upstream with my binoculars and spotted a Kingfisher on a low branch next to the footbridge by the Sea Cadet huts - probably the same bird that I saw downstream since it disappeared while I was walking around the dense weeds that surrounded the tree it had been sitting in. I walked around to the footbridge and crossed to the other side and then from the partial cover I turned to watch the Kingfisher, although because I wasn't completely hidden it saw I'd stopped and after a short time it flew off to another willow near the Record Office.

Rather eventful for no more than a mile of walking!

The first two photos are actually from a walk on Friday along the same bit of river...

1. Along the river just past Springfield Lock
2. Springfield Lock, where I saw the Little Grebes
3. Kingfisher downstream of Essex Record Office (you'll gasp at the unbelievable detail I captured here! ;))
4. The little burrow on the riverbank out on the Baddow Meads flood-meadow

Attachments

• P1030023 edit BF.jpg
    P1030023 edit BF.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 17
  • P1030026 bf.jpg
    P1030026 bf.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 21
  • P1030048 BF.jpg
    P1030048 BF.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 39
  • P1030030 edit BF.jpg
    P1030030 edit BF.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
For a picture taken through bins you have a reasonably good result, it can't have been easy. You could always claim it was a painting.;)
Any signs of birds in for the winter? Yesterday I saw a mised flock of siskins and redpolls, earlier a pair of goldcrests but no redwing this weekend.
Also the kingfisher was absent but someone had had a firework party very close to where it's been hanging around. They had better not have scared it off.:C

Thanks Val and Chris, I think that considering the way I took the photo of the kingfisher it came out surprisingly well really.

Water Vole is certainly a possibility for the burrow Val, although we have mink along the river her so I had assumed there wouldn't be voles if those are around... could be wrong there of course. Looking at some images of water vole holes they seem to have 'something' on the floor of the entrance and it looks just like what I saw, which is interesting. It was certainly in a quiet spot on a quiet part of the river where there is lot of vegetation to hide in. I'll have to keep an eye out just in case!

No winter visitors that I've seen so far Chris.

Nice one Paul. I like these reports of ones locality.

As Chris suggests your photo of the Kingfisher looks like a painting. I actually think it is very good and pleasing to the eye. I get some similar results with my compact when I put it on full zoom. I would have been very pleased to get the result that you have. I think there is more to photos than technical perfection.

A lot of interesting things in a short walk FB. A quiet walk alone like that often brings nature to you without having to do a lot of searching. It just comes to you, and thats when it's at it's best.
Did you record any young Kingfishers this year? The hole in the bank is much to high for a water vole, and also, being on it's own, the hole just about rules out Brown Rat. It's height above water level is just about spot on for Kingfisher and the diameter is about right too. A little look below the hole to water level may show traces of old splashes of droppings and,if white, would indicate Kingfisher activity, but,of course, it may not have been in use this year at all.

All that in one mile! Pretty impressive! I have never tried to take a pic through binoculars - yours has come out rather well.

You have found a good stretch of the river for your walk and great species seen too! The area in your first pic looks an ideal spot for sitting, waiting and watching! I love a spot like that, so relaxing! A great account of your mile walk, Paul!

Thanks everyone. It certainly is a productive stretch of river and I frequently remark to people that we've got a very rich wildlife habitat here - a lot of local people haven't a clue how rich this area is, many people think there's nothing but gulls and pigeons here and are amazed when I tell them that I've seen over 70 species of bird just around Chelmsford. I don't know if I've seen any young Kingfishers cheersm8 as I've usually seen them only as a blur.The ones I'm seeing perching now look like adults to my inexperienced eyes... ask me next summer. ;)

Got a tip-off about a Red-throated Diver in the park in town so went to see that today, I've added some pics to the gallery. Also got a better shot of a Kingfisher that was hiding in a Willow, albeit rather obscured!

Attachments

• DSC_9715 LR BF.jpg
    DSC_9715 LR BF.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC_9713 LR BF.jpg
    DSC_9713 LR BF.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 17
Another day, another walk

Probably was a kingfisher - I went back and looked and couldn't see any tracks or poo but there were some spiny plants growing right below the entrance so unlikely to be a mammal if it's been in use recently. It looks pretty good condition, I don't know how a burrow like this would age but it didn't look 'old' as such. The number of Kingfishers I've seen recently would suggest that it's been a good breeding year though.

I walked the same route to and from town yesterday to go and see the Red-throated Diver again, was a sunny morning this time and as I walked into town I saw some Reed Buntings and some unidentified small birds flying overhead (just silhouettes), then I spotted a group of little birds fly across from the other side of the river to some reeds on the near bank. I assumed they were more Buntings but when I got my bins on them I found they were Stonechats! I was thrilled when I saw one the other week so three or four was brilliant. I couldn't get very close to them but I stalked as close as possible and took some very distant photos, pretty low detail but considering how far I was one or two were surprisingly good.

Just past the Stonechats I disturbed a little group of Little Grebes, which I watched for a bit when I moved off a little way, then at the road bridge a group of Mute Swans came flying downstream, just as I'd seen last time! They flew really close to where I stood and it was very impressive as you certainly get a better idea of the sheer size of these birds when they fly close to you!

Past the bridge I found another small group of Little Grebes and a Cormorant fishing in the river, then off in the meadow a fair sized group of Magpies feeding on the ground, seven or eight that I could see. Lots of little birds in the trees as I approached the town, Robins and Dunnocks and Wrens, and in the water the Moorhens and Coots with a good crop of young Moorhens there. I went through town to Central Park and at the lake saw the Grey Wagtail bobbing around the bank, then at the far end spotted the Red-throated Diver still here, accompanied by a small group of birders.

I took some photos of the Diver as it moved around the lake before resting near the large paved bank section, where it stopped and had a little preen before taking a nap right in front of us! Very cool. I chatted with the birders a little and then packed my gear and headed off to do some shopping but then decided to head back along the river again, passing the Little Grebes and then past the road bridge watching a Kestrel hunting for some time, hovering over the meadow and perching in a dead tree before zooming off and landing some way off. I didn't see it come back up although I watched for a little while, I assume it caught something or flew off when I glanced away and I missed it so I picked up my shopping bag and tromped along the meadow path home.

Pics
1. Stonechat
2. Little Grebe
3. Mute Swan incoming!
4. Cormorant departure
5. Red-throated Diver

Attachments

• DSC_9765 LR BF.jpg
    DSC_9765 LR BF.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC_9771 LR BF.jpg
    DSC_9771 LR BF.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_9780 LR BF.jpg
    DSC_9780 LR BF.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_9783 LR BF.jpg
    DSC_9783 LR BF.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_9800 LR BF.jpg
    DSC_9800 LR BF.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Super photo's Fozzy. You do get good birding on your shopping trips. Glad you have 'almost' solved the hole mystery. The Red-throated Diver is a nice find too. I have seen them, but never near home like you have.

Thanks Val. I'm rather lucky although it can make shopping rather an extended trip! |:D| I can see me walking into town a fair bit via this route now, it cuts out a lot of the busy roads that I hate walking along although it won't be much fun in winter when it gets really wet and muddy - I remember how bad the towpath was last winter, I came home really plastered with mud!

Wow! Fabulous! I love the cormorant pic with the splooshes of water as he takes off. The swan is awesome too. I am enjoying your riverside walk posts, Paul. Please get muddy through the winter for us.

Thanks Val. I'm rather lucky although it can make shopping rather an extended trip! |:D| I can see me walking into town a fair bit via this route now, it cuts out a lot of the busy roads that I hate walking along although it won't be much fun in winter when it gets really wet and muddy - I remember how bad the towpath was last winter, I came home really plastered with mud!

Wellies could be the answer, Fozzy.o:D

An enjoyable read of your walk, Paul. The Little Grebe looks as though it is almost swamped by the duckweed, a great photo as are all the others! Nice one with the R-t Diver and Stonechat too!

Thanks Pam, yes that Little Grebe bobbed up right among the duckweed - going for the full camo look I think! ;) The Stonechats were the highlight of the day, really wonderful to see a group of them not half a mile from home!

When I went into town yesterday along the same route I found a badger track down by the river (no Otter signs that I could see - lots of dog prints cover much of the mud anyway), quite a few Reed Buntings and the Little Grebes again. Near Moulsham Mill I was watching a Greater Spotted Woodpecker, which I initially thought was a Lesser as it looked so small in the tree and the leaves looked big... I completely misread the distance and height of the tree! Got all excited about it too - d'oh!

Chatted to a guy walking his dog who said on Thursday he'd seen two Curlews flying along the river! :eek!: I was along there that day and would have SO loved to see them, they're a bird I've yet to see and to see them here would have been amazing! Just shows how rich this area is for wildlife! :t:

Still good to see a G S Woodpecker, Paul! Keep them peeled as your next one may be a Lesser also checkout any fields for Curlew!

Indeed, just annoying when you'd convinced yourself it was something even better. ;) I shall keep an eye out for the Curlews - have been seeing gulls, woodpigeons, crows and lots of lapwings in the fields here.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back