• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK owl list (1 Viewer)

condor1992

Spain
After a monstrous trip to Eldernell yesterday, I have completed my native owl list for the UK (the eagle owl I regard as inaccessible due to it being on MoD land and Avanti-related problems, so it doesn't count). And, as much as I love them, I also don't count juveniles/young birds.
My first owl was a little owl. Although the first little owl was recorded as a vagrant from Europe in 1758, most of the UK's population originates from introductions, where they seem to have occupied an unoccupied niche in the food chain. This is an extremely easy owl to observe, and I did it back in the height of the pandemic. Easier by far in Spain, though.
DSC08874.JPG
Barn owls were next- I used to live right by a barn owl nest box. A barn owl once perched across the river from me, completely ignoring me. This is an incredibly beautiful owl which before I had been trying to see for many years without significant success. Hearing that screech at night in the forest all of a sudden is the scariest thing I can think of in the UK which doesn't harm me.
DSC00038.JPG
Short-eared owls were first seen by me in 2018, but first photos were in 2020. In 2022, I got nice views of two at Eldernell. But now in 2023, I got my best views yet after I happened upon a short-eared owl in a bush in the same area. I now need flight photos...
IMG_6029.JPG
Tawny owl young was seen by me back in 2020, but I tried and failed to see the beautiful adults without success. I have a pair which lives right next to me in university, but I have to date not been able to find where they roost. At Eldernell, however, I found a tawny owl tree in less than a minute once I got to the right place. What a beautiful bird...
IMG_5936.JPG
Finally, there is the long-eared owl. the most beautiful UK owl, the hardest to see, and the most sought-after. After a lot of time trying, I finally saw these beautiful owls at Eldernell, where I enjoyed stunning views. The only time I saw them before was in 2019, when I had encounters with juveniles when walking at night.
IMG_5861.JPG
That concludes the accessible British list for me. The Spanish list is much, much, much harder than that. One of the biggest successes I had last year was seeing an eagle-owl at the El Hondo reserve which, despite flying off from a perfect perch, nevertheless gave amazing views.
IMG_5086 (1).JPG
Little owls are very regular and easy as well. I saw short-eared owls there as well. But I have serious doubts about finding boreal owl and scops owl. There is literally one place in existence nearby for the scops owl to where I live. For boreal owl, I think I'll need to visit Finland, because tracking them in the Pyrenees will be an absolute nightmare

Nice collection of sightings. I think getting Snowy Owl on your British list is a challenge too far for most.

Nice collection of sightings. I think getting Snowy Owl on your British list is a challenge too far for most.
Nonsense, it's on my fives list:

Fetlar, Shetland, 27 Jul 1986 ad♀ P

Wainfleet, Lincolnshire, 30 Dec 1990 and 4 Jan 1991 imm♂

Felixstowe, Suffolk, 26 Oct 2001 juv (Marion)

Zennor, Cornwall, 29 Dec 2008 P

Solas, North Uist, 8 Jun 2012 ad♂

Yes, I ticked it on Shetland. Yes, I twitched all the way to North Uist for an adult male. But the other three are all long-stayers from a spread of locations across England. Not that much of a challenge, especially with modern real-time information.

John

The thing about snowy owls is they do sometimes show up as vagrants. But, if they don't breed here, they can't be on my UK owl list, the same way that a hawk-owl wouldn't be

If you're not counting birds that aren't breeding, I wonder about your geese, duck- and waderlists! ;)

Eurasian Scops Owl must be one of the easiest owls to see anywhere in its range. I wonder where in Spain you are, that you have a hard time connecting with this one...?

If you're not counting birds that aren't breeding, I wonder about your geese, duck- and waderlists! ;)

Eurasian Scops Owl must be one of the easiest owls to see anywhere in its range. I wonder where in Spain you are, that you have a hard time connecting with this one...?
I keep 2 separate lists- for natives and for vagrants. My vagrants list is very small, currently only the goose from Slimbridge in 2018. Scops owl is very easy in Greece, but I in Spain live on the Costa Blanca, which is agricultural land for miles around and they are simply absent from there!

The thing about snowy owls is they do sometimes show up as vagrants. But, if they don't breed here, they can't be on my UK owl list, the same way that a hawk-owl wouldn't be
If you're counting feral birds, a few populations of Eurasian eagle owls are apparently found in the UK. My list is only tawny, barn and short eared owl.

Every little pocket of trees, or even gardens, and city parks as well, could have a Scops owl waiting for you at the Costa Blanca ;-)

If you're counting feral birds, a few populations of Eurasian eagle owls are apparently found in the UK. My list is only tawny, barn and short eared owl.
I do count the eagle-owl as both feral and a native species according to the fossil record. Problem is, the only pair I know of is on MoD land...

Provocatively, I suspect that Tengmalm's Owl may be a regular winter visitor to East Britain from Scandinavia. However, practically no birders go to the forest in autumn evenings, and nobody pays attention or can identify non-breeding calls of Tengmalm's Owl. The situation like the one below can be a sign of a regular occurrence:

With a bit of imagination I can make double figures. Tawny, barn, little, long-eared, short-eared, Snowy, Eurasian scops, Tengmalm’s, European eagle & Gt horned.

OK more than a little with the last one which I don’t really count - a local escapee that has been on private land for 20+ yrs! I did see a family of wild-reared eagle owls in Bowland but these too remain uncountable.

The last remaining species on the British list is Northern hawk owl and it’s 40 yrs this year since the only ‘twitchable’ one on Shetland. It remains one of the most wanted British birds for many.

The Eldernell owls are great value, relatively straightforward to see 4 sp in the space of 20 mins. Sadly no one appears to have invited Athene noctua to the party!

Little Owls are pretty widespread around London-even some of the central parks like Kensington Gardens. Places like Richmond & Bushy Parks have several pairs each.
I go to Richmond quite a bit- the issue is you have to leave quite early as traffic in London gets horrific... its almost quicker to get to Sussex from North London then it is to get anywhere in south London... low emission zones, new biking routes etc have made drives hell. Took as two hours to get to staines reservoir from North London.
My dad has seen little owls in Richmond before.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back