• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

18-20 mm eyepiece? (1 Viewer)

Just an update....I have been fairly content in switching back and forth between the Meade 5000 series Plossl and the William Optics SWAN both in 20 mm. Just when I think one is superior to the other I end up finding something else to like about each.

But, anyway, to stop months of second-guessing myself I ordered the Pentax XW 20 mm again. I am going to compare it directly to these other two to really see how they compare directly. If it is close then the Pentax is going back. If it isn't close then I am going to be selling the other 2 20 mm eyepieces and the three Knight Owl EWAs. I can live with just one good 20 mm eyepiece and an inexpensive zoom for the type of birding I do with the scope.

On another note I see that Orion now has a fairly high-end zoom available. I saw it in the latest catalog. I might order one to see how it works in the Pentax 65. Price was in the high $200s IIRC.

Frank, the set-up I'm toting around right now is the Vixen zoom and the XW20 I got from Kevin C. here on the forum. Wow the XW has such a huge fov!!! I have XW14,20,10&7, hands down the 20mm is the best for me! It makes a great combo, when I need that little extra mag swap in the zoom! I still have the Swan and the Vixen though the Swan has a little larger fov I just can't get comfortable with it on my scope. The Vixen on the other hand is compact not as small as the Swan but, it is much easier to get comfortable with it's modern twist up EP! I think you will be keeping the PENTAX! Bryce...

Just an update, compared the Swan and the XW, fov though the Swan has 1 degree wider it is much softer at the edges. Contrast as well as resolution favor the Pentax, color also to me seams more neutral with the XW! If anybody wants a cheap EP the Swan I have is going. If somebody pays shipping I would just give this one to them, I don't have the need for 3, 20mm EP's! PM me if interested. Bryce.

Very nice comparison Bryce. I would agree that there is an ever so slight warm color bias to the SWAN but for the price it sells for I would be willing to tolerate it.

I look forward to comparing the three myself and will post the findings as soon as it arrives.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back