• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quiz Number 1 (1 Viewer)

Keith Dickinson

Opus Editor
Here's my offering, just as I was starting to post this I remembered that in each of Bill's quizzes the answers all began with the same letter of the alphabet, that isn't the case here.
Hope you like it.
Pm the answers and I'll post winners next Sunday at this time. Also please tell me if any of the questions are too difficult and I'll try and ease up on the next one.

Ex Beebs Quiz No 1

1. Which English bird used to be known as a water ouzel?

2. In 1953 this bird first reached Britain, 3 years later it bred for the first time, what species is it?

3. Called Wildlife Explorers now but when it formed in 1943 what was the original name for the junior section of the RSPB?

4. Lots of birds have a scientific name that is the same word for both first and second part, can you work out the common name of the bird whose scientific name when translated from the Latin is cave-dweller cave-dweller?

5. Remiges is the posh word for which feathers?

6. Full name and dates for the person that the Canary Island pipit (it's alternative name) is named for . Half point for name only

7. Harry Potter's postal delivery bird is called Hedwig but what species is it supposed to be?

8. One of the newest RSPB reserve's in the UK is at Swillington near Leeds, what is it called and what was it before it became a reserve?

9. He wrote a Little Black Bird Book, Follow That Bird! and Gripping Yarns - who is it?

10. Jules Sebastian Cesar Dumont d''Urville named a bird for his wife, what species was it?

11. On which RSPB Reserve do you stand the best chance of hearing Golden Oriole? Having been there I know you've little chance of seeing them.

12. A 1965 film set in the Sahara Desert featured a group men who survived a plane crash and rebuilt their plane to fly to safety. The title of the film features the name of a bird, what is that bird?

13. There are 4 species of woodpecker seen with regularity in the UK, Great Spotted, Lesser Spotted and Green - what is the fourth species which is usually seen mainly during migration periods as it doesn't breed in the UK anymore?

14. Common goosander, Red-breasted merganser and Smew are collectively known as what? The name relates to a certain body feature unique to these birds.

15. Affectionately known as Sammy, this bird took up residence at Titchwell and stayed for 14 years. For a good part of that time it was the only one of its kind in the UK. Can you name the species?

16. The scientific study of eggs is known as what?

17. The Pudsey Duck flies backwards to keep the smoke from out of its eyes (local joke), there is however a group of birds who have mastered this sort of manoeuvrability, can you name them?

18. LBJ is birder's slang for what?

19. Going from one of the most abundant birds in the world to completely extinct in less than 100 years. One flock in 1866 in southern Ontario was described as being 1 mi (1.5 km) wide and 300 mi (500 km) long, took 14 hours to pass, and held in excess of 3.5 billion birds. The last bird dying in Cincinatti Zoo in 1914. What species am I talking about?

[FONT=&quot]20. [/FONT]Turducken is a culinary term -what does it refer to?

Last edited:
Sent a pm Rich. Answers are to be pm'ed to me, not posted on the thread. It isn't a race it's to give everyone chance to work at their own speed

Must read OP before responding - sorry folks. Got over excited at actually knowing some answers. Don't go pinching them now D;)

Rich

The Answers

Here are the answers

1. Dipper - white-throated dipper to give it it's full name
2. Collared Dove
3. Junior Bird Recorder's Club - it changed to the YOC in 1965

4. Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes)
5. Flight feathers
6. Sabin Berthelot 1794-1880
7. Snowy owl
8. St Aidan's - an opencast mine
9. Bill Oddie
10. His wife was Adelie and the bird is Adelie's penguin
11. Lakenheath in Suffolk
12. Flight of the Phoenix
13. Wryneck but I wish it was Black woodpecker
14. Sawbills, so called because of the serrations on the edge of the bill being like saw teeth, helps with holding fish
15. Black-winged stilt
16. Oology
17. Hummingbirds
18. Little brown jobs, those birds that you never really can id.
19. Passenger pigeon
20. The culinary art of stuffing chicken inside a duck inside a turkey to create a mega roast. Sounds interesting to say the least.

Only 3 people sent in answers so fairly easy for me to collate.

Congratulations to Delia and Val who share first place with 19 out of 20
whilst Gill came in 3rd with 15.

Thanks so much for all your hard work in compiling this quiz Keith. I really enjoyed doing it.

Hi Keith,
So sorry I meant to post my answers when I made my other comment but got distracted then, and I'm afraid I forgot I shall look forward to the next one, by the way I'm quite proud I only got a couple wrong,
George

Which one did you get wrong Val? Mine was No 3 (obviously I'm not old enough;))

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back