• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

40D CS3 Raw convertion help. (1 Viewer)

RoyH

Hi, I received my new 40D yesterday, unfortunatally my version of CS3 Extended will not see the Raw format. I have downloaded and installed the latest update from Adobe 4.2v still will not convert. My son was thinking, could it be the firmware ( 1.0.3 ) in the camera, any idea's please. Don't really want to try any other software, just got to know how to drive CS3.

My first impressions of the 40D, brilliant I am also very pleased the BG-E2N Grip fits and matches like a glove. I was also releaved that the cable release port is the same as the 10D. Not taken many pictures, still studying the book so I have not had chance to read about the software disk what that contains.

Regards

Roy.

Hi, I received my new 40D yesterday, unfortunatally my version of CS3 Extended will not see the Raw format. I have downloaded and installed the latest update from Adobe 4.2v still will not convert. My son was thinking, could it be the firmware ( 1.0.3 ) in the camera, any idea's please. Don't really want to try any other software, just got to know how to drive CS3.

You need this :)

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3736

That should sort your issues out :)

Thanks Ian, I had already installed that update what I have just discovered, those images were sRaw not full Raw. Just loaded some Raw files they loaded ok so your right, that would have solved the issue, thank you. Should have read the book first.

Roy.

Ah right, hadnt thought about the sRAW issue, dont think anything but Canon's software can read them yet !

Glad you got it sorted though :)

Well how about this one?!:
I received my second 40D yesterday, as I was so pleased with the one I got a month ago. But raw files from the new one will NOT open in Photoshop CS3 (with the current 40D raw plugin installed) even though they open perfectly happily from my 'old' 40D.
My old one his firmware 1.0.3, but my new one has firmware 1.0.4. I guess this must be the reason, but it makes the new body useless to me!

Many thanks for that Keith.
Actually, I cannot get it to work (nothing happens when I double-click the downloaded .exe file on my desktop), but it seems to be a method of changing the files once taken; what I really need is a 'backwards upgrade' in the Camera from firmware 1.0.4 to 1.0.3. Meanwhile, I suggest that NO-ONE SHOULD BUY A NEW BATCH CANON 40D (containing firmware 1.0.4) if they want to open Raw files in Photoshop.

That's a drag...

This is a DOS application though - it won't run from Windows, only either from the "Run" dialog, or in an MSDOS console.

I've just tested it in a console, and - once I'd remembered how to navigate to the folder the program was in (it's been a long time since I've worked at the Command Line!) - it fires up just fine.

Course, I've got no nadgered CR2 files...

i have photoshop cs version 8 on my pc. Dont suppose there is any hope of this reading 40d raw files is there??

i have photoshop cs version 8 on my pc. Dont suppose there is any hope of this reading 40d raw files is there??

Not natively no, sorry, only one that should is CS3 as Adobe arent supporting the earlier versions anymore which means the ACR plug in isnt being updated for anything before CS3.

Why not just use the canon software to convert your raws? it is quite capable
I have been using ACR with CS2 for a couple of years now but during the last couple of weeks I have been giving Canon's DPP a whirl and must say that I am very impressed with the RAW conversions (much better than ACR IMO). Work flow is not a problem for me as I can edit the conversion as a 16 bit TIFF in CS2 at the touch of a key.
I have not been applying and noise reduction in DPP but the images appear a lot less noisey that they do in ACR - they seem to have a more creamy look to them.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back