• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod sugestions please (1 Viewer)

TerryH

I have an old Slik tripod which I have used for photography for the past 25 yrs but carrying it about with a Optolyth tbg80 scope it is very heavy and bulky.

Can anyone suggest a good alround tripod and head.

Terry.

I use a (Bogen) Manfreto Wilderness Tracker tripod package with fluid head.

Sturdy enough for DigiScoping but that may make it heavier than you'd like.

BirdWatcher

I have got a Manfrotto 443 carbon fibre tripod with 200 composite head which I use with my Leica APO 77, which is pretty heavy. I am very happy with it and I know others whoc have bought one. Of course it will set you back about £250

Robin

Hi all

Have a look at this Velbon Delta tripod only available from http://www.at-infocus.co.uk/reviews_tripods.html I have ordered one after seeing it in the flesh a few weeks back, it is very light, tall even before the centre column is extended (ideal for stability) and is designed with birders and scopes in mind not cameras. Plus it’s only £110 or £39 if you order with a scope, the centre column also converts to a hide mount if you purchase the extra clap (£40).

I have ordered one, so I will let you know after the weekend.

Does anyone else own one?

Rich

Slik D3 is very versatile, The most robust tripod I have ever used.
I use a benbo Trekker for Fungi & Plant photography.

CJ

Thank you all for your replies,

Richard I am going down to Titchwell at the weekend so I'll pop in to the In-Focus store down there and have a try out.

Will let you know how I get on.

Terry.

I have recently been looking for a lighter tripod. I decided to go for the Manfrotto 443 with the new 700RC2 head. Only had a couple of outings with this set-up but but very happy so far.

Phil,
What's the new 700 RC2 head like ? I've got the 128RC at present - is the new one any better ?

Tony

Manfrotto 443 for me too - with the 128RC fluid head.

I upgraded from the Manfrotto 190CL, which was very heavy. The 443 is very light and I ahve carried it around for some time without getting shoulder ache.

I had a look at the Velbon and just didn't like the quality at the side of the Manfrotto - just personal choice. Try and see them both side-by-side.

Ultra lightweight at this end..... Velbon Sherpa Pro Carbon @ 1.1kg (even less with 2/3 of the centre column removed) and the lightweight Velbon PH157Q pan head (500g). I've been more than happy with mine for 18 months or so of heavy digiscoping (cp990/cp4500 + Swarovski AT80HD + Dual Force Pro battery pack).
I like the ability to spread the 'pod legs open to get very low working heights (about 15cm on the 5300, with centre column split), this gives a rock solid support and eliminates all but the strongest wind-shake...though you have to sit down 3:) I also prefer twist-lock legs to the noisy snappy type.
I used to use the Slik D3 for many years(still got it)... I realy like the D3 head but it's a bit heavy on my 'pod.
'Pods and heads are very personal items..... so to try before buying.
Andy

Tony,

I also own a manfrotto 055 nat2 tripod which I use with a 128RC head. The 128 is heavier and feels more solid but the 700 is considerably lighter. Both are stable and the movement is equally smooth. One snag I did have is that the 200CZ1 plate specially machined for the Zeiss Diascope cannot be used on the 700 head because with the 700 the scope sits length ways along the plate rather than across, if that makes sense. Having said that I have not had any problems so far with the scope becoming loose on the standard plate supplied with the head.

Phil

i use the 290N Manfrotto being green with no reflective bits it suited me, i looked at the SilkD5 but it was too flash as i like to see the birds and not the other way around. with so many to try it's down to what you want in the end, i would have liked mine to go right down almost to the ground but it is low enough & will last me a life time. you pays ya money.........

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back