• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 65+zoom+monopod....? (1 Viewer)

albatrosviajero

Hello,

Anyone have used this configuration: zeiss 65+zoom eyepiece+monopod? I think that they maybe a good strategy versus the weight excesive?

Thanks,
Al.

I used to have a Swaro HD 65, and tried it with a monopod. It didn´t work very well. Tripod is really the only game in town.

What Sancho says.

I tried my 65 Diascope with zoom on a monopod, it didn't work. Not even at the lowest magnification, being 15x. Mind you, I had the angled version.
The straight version might work on a monopod, but I have my doubts.

A very lightweight travel tripod is better, though for really steady views the bigger the tripod, the better.

Regards,

Ronald

I've used a couple of 65mm scopes both angled and straight on a monopod.

The trick is how you hold the monopod or rather hold the scope. You have to use the same technique that people with long lenses on cameras: with a hand at the objective and one on the camera grip to stabilize the camera against rotation around the axis of the monopod (the main "shake" mode of this combo). For the scope it's holding the scope at the prisms housing with one finger (middle or ring) on the focuser (assuming a fingertip focuser like the Zeiss has). The other hand holds the objective end of the scope. Like using a spyglass but with a monopod attached.

This grip is a lot more stable than trying to hold the upright of the monopod. You can also go the shoulder mount or "arm on the head" route: anything that gets a moment arm on the monopod to stabilize the rotation.

I've used this combo to read hawk VID bands pretty close to the nest. I tried using a tripod first but the uneven ground and the tendency for the birds to move about (so they had to be chased in the woodland looking for a view through the leaves) meant a tripod was a lot more awkward (and dangerous for the scope ... ground not flat so tripod and scope likes to tip) and didn't read the band. The monopod was a lot easier to use in this case: easier move move to find a good view. I think a photographer would agree on a similar sort of use case.

I think a 65mm scope + elevation head + monopod is a worthwhile combo at 15x to 25x (but certainly no more than 30x) for solo use (of course, you can't share a bird with someone else). The total weight is lighter (and cheaper) and the scope + tripod. Angled is most flexible, I've found, as you need a shorter monopod for a bigger range of elevations but for waterfowl watching a straight works OK.

If nothing else it lets you take a scope when perhaps you wouldn't have taken one because the scope and tripod can be a pain to hump around with an extra couple of kilos of weight (unless you go all Gitzo CF or similar). In fact a lighter combo of my aluminum Manfrotto 678B monopod and 234RC head would be useful (especially reducing the head weight) would be beneficial but would perhaps only save another quarter of a kilo (half a pound).

Last edited:
ive used a monopod with my pentax(angled) 80 @ 27x

HOwever i tend to use it sitting down, so the monopod is at its minimum height. If you are sitting on a slope (river bank or sand dune) this works well.

Prop your back against a tree or boulder could also work.

I considered trying digiscoping withthis, but light was bad so put it off....will try it sometime.

one hand at the objective lens side and the other hand at eyepiece side, sit down, monopod can be usable for a quick ID.

Anyone have used this configuration: zeiss 65+zoom eyepiece+monopod? I think that they maybe a good strategy versus the weight excesive?

Depends on the monopod. By far the best I've seen is the Monostat (http://monostat.com/). It's rubber foot makes quite a difference because it effectively dampens movements in the horizontal plane.

Sure, it's still no substitute for a "real" tripod, but it's a heck of a lot better than a normal monopod. I can use magnifications up to 40x for a quick ID quite easily and magnifications up to 30x even for longer periods of time. Normal monopods are in my experience pretty useless in comparison.

The Monostats aren't cheap - they were originally designed for professional sports photographers and light video cameras - but very well made. I think they're well worth the price.

Hermann

I have regularly used a monopod with a 60mm Nikon Fieldscope II and more recently a newly aquired Swarvoski CTC 75. I have also recently replaced my old Tiltall monopod with an aluminium Gitzo monopod.
I think the monopod is great on the move and when using in rough country but it is not as steady as a tripod but much easier and in my opinion more convenient to use.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back