• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie wanting to buy a pair of binoculars...advise please (1 Viewer)

VK2JNG

Hi all,

New on this forum. Wanting to buy a new pair of binoculars. Money I can spend approx AUD $800-900.

Have looked at Zeiss and Nikon 10X42 range.

I have a pair of Fujinon 16X70 but of course can only use them on tripod.

Any advise appreciated on the above two models or others in that price range.

Thanks
Gerard VK2JNG

Gerard,

New to you needn't necessarily be new off the shelf.

A pre-owned Nikon HG L 10x42 may well be the best binocular in your price range, and then some.

Best wishes,

Hi,

since this is in australian dollars at 0.73 usd, the monarch 7 is a sound advice. Maybe one of the upper middle class samples might fit used.

If you are patient, you might be able to snag up a used Nikon SE 10x42 for that money which would give you the best optics for the money but in a big (although not heavy) and non-waterproof package.
Another Nikon porro still available would be the E2 in 10x35 which fits the budget new. Its main attractoon is the wide field of view.

Joachim

Thanks all for replying.
Just pushed the "Buy Now" button on a Nikon Monarch 7 10X42 here in Oz which had $120 off at Ryda.com

Can't wait to get my hands on this one.

Hope it will work out ok.

Gerard

Congratulations to your new bins - I hope you'll have a lot of fun watching birds with 'em. Let us know how yours are!

Joachim

Well, my new pair of binoculars arrived last week Thursday. Nikon Monarch 7 10X42. I am by no means an expert on binoculars. This is my first decent pair. Very impressed with them. Very crisp and clear vision, light enough for me. Can detect some CA when viewing say tree branch against white sky but not much and doesn't bother me. Been doing some bird watching last couple of days and am very pleased with the purchase. Thanks all for commenting.
Gerard

Congratulations on your purchase. I think the Monarch 7s are an excellent value--a top buy in their price range. They offer a very wide field in a lightweight package, with good color control and a nice sweet spot. Have fun with them!

geo.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back