• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

USA-New York Identification Help (1 Viewer)

Tribe9

Attached are 2 photos of a fledgling in a front yard Japanese Maple. On June 7, there were 3 similar colored & size eggs laid by a Northern Cardinal. On June 20 the eggs hatched. On June 23 a nestling was found below the nest on the ground. This nestling although similar looking, was smaller than the 2 nestlings still in the nest. I put the nestling back in the nest. This morning the smaller nestling was once agin found on the ground. Replaced back in nest only to find it on the ground again hours later ( both times it made its way to the driveway below where both cardinal parents were watching from the branches of an oak tree & chirpping loudly ). The nestling did not have many feathers. The remaining 2 nestlings have full feathers ( see photos ).

Is it possible that there was brood parasitism ( Brown - headed cowbirds are in the area ) ?

Please help identify now fledglings in the photos.

The smaller nestling that was apparently kicked out 3 times has been taken to a wildlife rehabilitator.

Thank you.

Attachments

• P1020007-1.JPG
    P1020007-1.JPG
    325.3 KB · Views: 95
  • P1020008-1.JPG
    P1020008-1.JPG
    315.3 KB · Views: 74
You have fledgling northern cardinals there. By your description it sounds like the smaller nestling was just another cardinal that hatched after the other two. It's common for the older, stronger birds to kick the weaker ones out of the nest. Hopefully the bird rehabilitator will take good care of the little guy.

Thank you. Yes, the rehabbor is very skilled & caring with sonbirds. Due to living in rural Upstate New York, I find several injured birds due to most people doing well in excess of the posted speed limit, & I take them to her. I also release them near where I found them.

Thanks again.

Thanks. Good to have Cardinals. Sorry for the 3 nestling that got kicked out several times, but it is being cared for & will be releashed when able.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back