• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mourning Dove Egg & Nest Question (2 Viewers)

Devo74

United States
Hi all. Newbie here, just want to say hello to everyone first, I really enjoy the site!

I have a pair of Dove's making a nest right outside my bedroom window, on the sill, which is pretty neat to watch. My questions are:

1 - The 1st egg was laid today, but it is already out of the nest resting on the sill directly in front of the nest & both parents can definitely see it. Will they try to get it back into the nest, should I try to put it back in when the nest is free, or just leave it alone?

2 - We are going to be getting very bad storms tonight & I don't think the nest will be able to withstand the winds or rain, so if the nest does fall & it stays intact, should I put it back once the storm is over to see if they will come back? Just a tidbit - During their building stage of the nest it did fall off the sill & they kept coming back looking for it, so I went out, found it on the ground, brought it into my house & then opened my window & placed it back on the sill. To my surprise they came back & continued to build.

Thanks in advance for any input, greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
If you fear the egg may fall during the storm, and it matches up with photos of Mourning Dove eggs, and, also, you think you could successfully put it back (using some sort of gloves, of course), then why not (I think)--especially given the birds have 'accepted' your placing their nest back on the sill. Can the sill be somewhat secured against the storm and the nest falling off (this time with the egg) again? I don't know and have no experience, but perhaps someone else does.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back