• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

tripod head canon 40d and sigma 120-300 (1 Viewer)

drumbatter100

I am currently using a canon 40d plus battery pack with sigma 120-300 occasionally with tele converters, on a manfrotto 055xprob with a 486rc2 ball head. I want to upgrade the head to something a bit more substantial and would like other readers veiws on what to buy. Looking at some of the video type heads it looks to me as if the handles might impede with the battery pack. I want to move away from the ballhead design as the outfit is quite heavy and unless everything is locked tight you get the lens slamming against the tripod legs. Your veiws and recomendations will be very much appreciated.

Many thanks for your replies in advance

DB100

Have a look at the Manfrotto 501 video head, it's rock solid and very smooth. It does have a huge handle, but this can be moved around or shortened. At ~£140 it's an extremely good value head.

Have a read at the "who needs a gimbal " thread. I use an acratech GV2 and its great but if you want to get away from the ball head the new head from them may be of interest.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back