• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

non scientific Canon 300 IS vs Sigma 120-300 OS (1 Viewer)

postcardcv

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
I had a breif chance today to try the Sigma 120-300 f2.8 OS against a Canon 300 f2.8 IS mkI. Nothing scientific in my testing just put one on my 7D and then the other, just testing in my front garden taking shots of wood pigeon who are clearly setting up home. I turned off the IS/OS as I was trying for flight shots and was getting decent shutter speeds. It seemed to me that the AF speed and acuracy of tracking was very simialr for both (though the Canon had the slight edge in tracking). Looking at the images on my PC they have both delivered decent results with a similar percentage of keepers. Like I say nothing scientific but I was pleasantly surprised by how well the Sigma performed, it is clearly a set up from the non-OS version of the lens. I did also do some low light test shooting with the Sigma indoors (didn't compare to the Canon) and at ISO800, f2.8, 1/60th of a second the OS did the job well enough for me to get sharp shots of my dog!

Below are some wood pigeon shots for my shoot out - some from each lens, I'd say it is reasonably hard to tell them apart. Shot in RAW, all processed with the same LR settings only variation is cropping (none are heavily cropped).

Attachments

• IMG_4729.jpg
    IMG_4729.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_4736.jpg
    IMG_4736.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_4756.jpg
    IMG_4756.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_4766.jpg
    IMG_4766.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_4810.jpg
    IMG_4810.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 130
I was photographing arctic terns the other day and found my 120-300mm f2.8 OS couldn't maintain focus with the terns flying towards me. I'd have loved to have tried a canon 300mm f2.8 and a 400mm f5.6 for the same task. This was with the 1D4 and centre point focus.

Seeing the current Siggy 120-300/2.8 OS is going for £1600 or less at the moment it would seem a good buy from Peter's pics/comparions.
The soon to be released new 120-300/2.8 OS is supposed to be optically the same as the current version although I suspect the initial price could be double the £1600.

Seeing the current Siggy 120-300/2.8 OS is going for £1600 or less at the moment it would seem a good buy from Peter's pics/comparions.
The soon to be released new 120-300/2.8 OS is supposed to be optically the same as the current version although I suspect the initial price could be double the £1600.

B&H lists it for preorder @ US$3600 ........
Previous version is listed for US$2700.

UH

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back