• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for new tripod legs and head (1 Viewer)

elspedo

Photography degree student
Hi recieved my 400mm f5.6 prime today and thought i would take it out for a quick test before i went to work put it onto my tripod (a camlink one i bought in haste a few months ago to try my new camera out and was told would support weight well) and it always seems that the head sneaks forward if i leave it and doesnt seem to like locking into a positon any less than about 30 degrees up and when it does lock above this slides down and eventually gives way (the first time it did this was quite a shock with my new lens on there) I dont know wether this is a problem with the locking mechanism on the head or if it just can take the weight as it doesnt seem to bad when the lens isnt mounted :s problem is i cant just buy a new head as the centre column isnt screw thread like manfrotto etc it is totally different so i would need to buy a whole new set up (unless can but the centre leg seperate) so this is where i need your help to help me decide on a cheap(ish) set of legs that will be able to support a good head (lens, body and TC weigh just less than 4kg combined)

I have been looking at the acratech/gimball heads as i like the idea of being able to pan and keep the camera stable but only have around £300 to spend on the complete kit so wemberley etc are a bit to pricey for me and i think slight overkill for the 400 prime lens, any help you can provide would be great :)

Hi elspedo, I have a Pentax K10D mated to a Bigma attached to a Manfrotto 055 XPROB (£107) tripod and a Manfotto393 gimbal type head(£103).I have found it excellent and know of people with much larger lenses (Sigma 500 f4.5 and the Sigmonster 300-800) and the same head and find it also brilliant.

Graham

Cheers for that can you just tell me how the lens fits onto the head? do you need to buy a seperate QR plate?

Elspedo
Have you considered a monopod?
£30-40ish will get you a good Manfrotto version, (680/681.), more than suitable for a light lens such as the 400/5.6.
The 393 head comes with its own QR plate.
regards.

Hi i would rather have a tripod as i will be doin alot of shooting from inside a hide and would rather be able to set up my tripod and leave it in position for the duration of the time i am there, i must say i do like the manfrotto legs and a cheap at £107 as they can hold 7kg, its between the manfrotto gimbal head and the indian wimberleys at the moment as for the head

Hi again have put an order in today for the manfrotto 393 head and am going to try fashion a centre column myself (prob just weld some 3mm plate onto the top of some tubing as this will be as strong as anything) as there is nothin wrong with the legs i have and would rather save the money towards a new lens, will but some feedback and a picture of what i have done when i recieve the head.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back