• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Warwickshire (4 Viewers)

The "herons" I was thinking of were Grey Heron, Bittern, Night Heron, White Stork, Spoonbill, Little Egret, Great White Egret, and yes Cattle Egret.

A summer-plumaged Cattle Egret was reported by two observers at a site in south Warks back in early July, news not being put out (rightly or wrongly I'm not sure). I found out the following day and went to check straight away but no sign. Cattle Egret was one of the species rumoured to have escaped from Blackbrook Zoo in Staffs earlier in the year though...

White Stork was a flyover report from Rugby.

Matt

Draycote Water this morning

Despite the gloom :-C some good birds :t:

Purple Sandpiper (1) Farborough Spit
Rock Pipit (1) Farborough Bank
Red Breasted Merganser (1) Mobile
Goosander (6f 1m) Farborough Bank
Redshank (1) Outlet
Dunlin (13) Outlet

Not seen by me Brent Geese (9) Over & Water Pipit

Last edited:
MEGA - Woodlark Wishaw. More info on my blog.

UK/Local Rarities – How to report your news

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Report your UK/Local birdnews direct to RBA to ensure it reaches the widest audience as quickly as possible*

By phone•Breaking news of megas and rarities - call the RBA Newsdesk - 01603 456789
•All other birdnews – call our Hotline - 0207 038 2820
By Email•Email RBA via our sightings form
By Text (SMS) •Text your news to 07624 800 479

If you are ever in any doubt as to the best way to send us your birdnews then give us a ring on 01603 456789.

*Other birdnews information companies such as Birdguides and Birdnet rely heavily on RBA for their birdnews and by calling your news direct to us it will therefore reach the widest audience as quickly as they can copy us!

QUOTE=Periwinkle;2287401]If that is an unsubtle way of suggesting I don't put out news then you are way off the mark and it is unappreciated.[/QUOTE]

No not at you Tom but whoever it was that saw it well this afternoon, please pass the numbers on for them as I am sure they will twitch anyone elses birds when they turn up. I guess you got the out as fast as you could as I did with the Spoonbill at Draycote even though I was on Scilly at the time :eek!:

Regards

John

Ok - I forgive you then 8-P

In this case the observer phoned me and I texted the news out to the usual Tame crowd. As I don't have a pager any more I was not aware it had not been put on.

QUOTE=Periwinkle;2287401]If that is an unsubtle way of suggesting I don't put out news then you are way off the mark and it is unappreciated.

No not at you Tom but whoever it was that saw it well this afternoon, please pass the numbers on for them as I am sure they will twitch anyone elses birds when they turn up. I guess you got the out as fast as you could as I did with the Spoonbill at Draycote even though I was on Scilly at the time :eek!:

Regards

John[/QUOTE]

Hi John,

...re the Spoonbill, didn't you put the news out 'nationally' ?

*Other birdnews information companies such as Birdguides and Birdnet rely heavily on RBA for their birdnews and by calling your news direct to us it will therefore reach the widest audience as quickly as they can copy us!

Not too sure this is true though, I report sightings to Birdguides and within 10 minutes of appearing on Birdguides they appear on RBA, yet some of the sightings I see on RBA never get posted by Birdguides :(

Regards

John

Hi John,

...re the Spoonbill, didn't you put the news out 'nationally' ?[/QUOTE]

Yes text it in to the pager straight away and called a few people I knew that didn't have one. Should I have done more?

Regards

John

For anyone not been yet the Short Eared Owls are showing well at Dostill Lake usually along the bunds.

Got there at 11.00AM yesterday and saw one straight away and then on and off for a couple of hours until a water skier came out.

Max.

Attachments

• IMG_5993.jpg
    IMG_5993.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 59
18/11/11 Draycote Water Colin J Green (Nuneaton Bird club member) reports 3 White-fronted Geese behind Farnborough Bank.
Black-necked Grebe in middle of Reservior.
5 Dunlin, 4 Knot, Raven & Peregrine.

Regards, John

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back