• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scotland - crow ID (1 Viewer)

clarity

Hi All

I can generally tell my rooks from my carrion crows, but this one is puzzling me. The breast seems quite mottled. Is it a juvenile rook/crow - or a juvenile raven?

(The pics are of the same bird.)

Thank you

Clarity

Attachments

• IMG_0730a.jpg
    IMG_0730a.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0729a.jpg
    IMG_0729a.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 111
Next to a Carrion a Raven looks huge. It has a very heavy beak and usually a distinct 'beard'. If it is a juvinile, at this stage of feather development, a Rook would have at least the beginnings of a face patch and the paler beak.

Carrion crow. Rooks and ravens have very different beak shapes from this.

I love that flight picture - what a dramatic shape it makes.

Mike

Attachments

• crow.jpg
    crow.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 48
  • edward.jpg
    edward.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
As said above it's a Carrion Crow. This bird is an immature according to the pale blueish iris, the lack of glossiness on upperparts and the light breast (on top of that, I think I can see the yellow gape line on the 1st picture).

Can you be sure there isn't a few genes from a hooded crow in there? I saw a lot of intercross and backcross birds in Vienna on a recent visit, and this looks similar to some of those.

Niels

Well it's a Corvid, but a couple of things don't look quite right for a Carrion Crow. The head seems a bit small, and the top of the head seems a bit flat.

The Crows I see in my garden every day have larger heads and the top of the head is rounder (more domed).

But remember my opinion is only based on the what I've seen and photographed in my garden. Most here know a great deal more about Crows.

Well it looks like I was wrong (which is fine, it means I just learned something|=)|)

I've attached 2 images:

First is an adult Carrion Crow, second is a second year Carrion Crow. The second looks very similar to the OP's picture.

Attachments

• Adult.jpg
    Adult.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 2ndYear.jpg
    2ndYear.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 27
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back