• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Denmark, corvids and waders (1 Viewer)

testoduro

Last week on an island. My guesses:

1, 2 (two differentt birds) I would say Ravens, particularly clear the first one, but I want to rule out juvenile Rooks.
3. Probably unidentifiable. No more pics, I'm afraid. The third one from the left shows a reddish body. Maybe, Red Knots or Sanderlings? Or just one more ´no way to know´?
Thank you!

Attachments

• Fano island. Dk.jpg
    Fano island. Dk.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 84
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 82
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    449.2 KB · Views: 83
Hello,

a really serious question you know: is the bill of the first bird still within variation for a Carrion/Hooded Crow?

Yes, like all here I am in the confident ID camp too, but if forced I would opt for a Raven with some confidence

And thanks to Butty again! I looked a Carion and Hooded Crows again during the last days and the brownish feathers seems quite worn/faded for a juvenile Carrion/Hoded Crow at this time of the year (even so strong that I thoughts of an ill state came into my mind), but does this support Raven ID? I am not so sure.= I hope for more comments!

The second bird is much harder for me.

Hello,

a really serious question you know: is the bill of the first bird still within variation for a Carrion/Hooded Crow?

Yes, like all here I am in the confident ID camp too, but if forced I would opt for a Raven with some confidence

And thanks to Butty again! I looked a Carion and Hooded Crows again during the last days and the brownish feathers seems quite worn/faded for a juvenile Carrion/Hoded Crow at this time of the year (even so strong that I thoughts of an ill state came into my mind), but does this support Raven ID? I am not so sure.= I hope for more comments!

The second bird is much harder for me.
I would agree with a juvenile Raven for 1, but I'm inclined more to Carrion Crow for 2.

I would say i am not sure for the first picture but the second one in the flowering heather is a clear carrion crow for me on bill size alone .
I am inclined to say carrion crow also for the first, due to the head looking rather small because of very abraded / worn feathers. if we take this into account I think the bill fits better for carrion crow than for raven , but I am not 100% sure.
As far as I remember , carion crows also breed in southern Jutland...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back