• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler ID, UK (1 Viewer)

Chalky W

I'm guessing at a Juv Willow Warbler, can I ask the experts to confirm or enlighten me please.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• _DSC5128.jpg
    _DSC5128.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 223
Thanks peeps, a Reed Warbler makes sense as it was on the edge of some scrub which was on the edge of a large reed bed. I've never seen a Juv Reed before and the books weren't much help either.

Thanks again for the ID.

cristian,

by probability jane meant that marsh warbler has just a couple of breeding pairs in england, between 11 and 34 bp according to EBCC (in 2000), while reed warbler is common. don't know if we can trust in the estimation of a half million breeding pairs of marsh warbler in romania though. but then, why not.
btw. to me the acrocephalus you posted recently looked like a marsh warbler also. it had a short and blunt bill, dull colours.

this bird is not young, but an adult near its nest.

cristian,

by probability jane meant that marsh warbler has just a couple of breeding pairs in england, between 11 and 34 bp according to EBCC (in 2000), while reed warbler is common. don't know if we can trust in the estimation of a half million breeding pairs of marsh warbler in romania though. but then, why not.
btw. to me the acrocephalus you posted recently looked like a marsh warbler also. it had a short and blunt bill, dull colours.

this bird is not young, but an adult near its nest.

Interesting, I really didn't know that Marsh Warbler is a rare species in UK. I think that it isn't a very common species in Romania too (rather a common one) - the idea is that Great Reed, Reed, and Sedge are obviously more common species here, in the southern part of the country.
I agree with you that the bird from the next link it is probably a Marsh Warbler.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=144560

yes, that's the one. also vegetation is slightly in favour of marsh. reed prefers reed in romania usually, less so in western europe. and yes, RW, GRW and sedge are the more numerous acros in romania (although i think the numbers are overestimated, esp. in EBCC 2000.), there are more marshs in transilvania i guess.

sorry for this off-topic excurse, chalky w., and your bird is a reed warbler.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back