• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kerala Warbler (1 Viewer)

Hello , Please help me identify this warbler from Kerala , India . This warbler was spotted last week along the beach bushes. It looks bigger than a Blyth's Reed Warbler. Is it a Common Reed Warbler ?
Thank You,
Jayan Thomas

Attachments

• Blyths reed Warbler 24-3-1-306.jpg
    Blyths reed Warbler 24-3-1-306.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Blyths reed Warbler 24-3-1-311.jpg
    Blyths reed Warbler 24-3-1-311.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Blyths reed Warbler 24-3-1-312.jpg
    Blyths reed Warbler 24-3-1-312.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 52
Hello , Please help me identify this warbler from Kerala , India . This warbler was spotted last week along the beach bushes. It looks bigger than a Blyth's Reed Warbler. Is it a Common Reed Warbler ?
Thank You,
Jayan Thomas
Firstly, this is best dealt with in the Bird Identification Q&A so may I suggest its moved.

No Jayan, its a Blyth's Reed, the combination of 2 clearly emarginated primaries (only 1 in Reed), very short (c50%) primary projection, dark distal smudge to lower mandible, grey legs + slight continuation of supercilium beyond eye etc confirm.

Judging size of lone birds is subjective at best, but in this instance, there is no difference in size limits between Common and Blyth's Reed.

Grahame

Last edited:
Hi Jayan and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I am going to move your post to the ID forum, as suggested by Grahame, as there will be more people there with the knowledge to help you.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Firstly, this is best dealt with in the Bird Identification Q&A so may I suggest its moved.

No Jayan, its a Blyth's Reed, the combination of 2 clearly emarginated primaries (only 1 in Reed), very short (c50%) primary projection, dark distal smudge to lower mandible, grey legs + slight continuation of supercilium beyond eye etc confirm.

Judging size of lone birds is subjective at best, but in this instance, there is no difference in size limits between Common and Blyth's Reed.

Grahame
I've always had trouble seeing emargination on perched birds... Is it possible to explain on these pictures where exactly you see primaries and their emarginations?
Thank you

I've always had trouble seeing emargination on perched birds... Is it possible to explain on these pictures where exactly you see primaries and their emarginations?
Thank you
I don't have the ability to annotate the original image so I'll try to explain.

The emargination is where the outer web of the primary feather cuts in sharply (=narrows) towards the shaft. The outer web of the feather usually manifests as a paler line so, the point at which it stops marks the start of an emargination. Now look at the 1st image and you will see the paler lines that mark the edge of the outer webs of the primaries, the three outermost stop abruptly marking the emaginations to (counting inwards) P3, P4 & P5 respectively. Note that 3 are visible, not 2 as previously stated, fairly typical in adult BRW's.

Grahame

Users who are viewing this thread

Back