• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leitz Trinovid 7x42 for beginner (1 Viewer)

I recently started birding and was using the only pair of binos I had which was heavy as hell soviet made porro prisms. Obviously I thought about roofs and obtained this Trinovids in 7x42 for $275 (probably overpaid). Questions is it a good binocular for beginner? If not what other models makes you would suggest?

Attachments

• pix611367812.jpg
    pix611367812.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 460
I recently started birding and was using the only pair of binos I had which was heavy as hell soviet made porro prisms. Obviously I thought about roofs and obtained this Trinovids in 7x42 for $275 (probably overpaid). Questions is it a good binocular for beginner? If not what other models makes you would suggest?

Welcome to BF Born in the USSR,

First of all congrets with your bin. You've obtained one of the best from the 80s.
It has suited several for years and will suit you just fine.
You have a classic!!! Be proud of it. I've sold recently just one like that for 750,00 euro's, so you did a good job.

Jan

Hello BornintheUSSR,

Without contradicting Jan, there have been some improvements in binoculars, in the last 30 years: phase coating, dielectric mirrors and closer focussing. Nevertheless, your binocular should prove to be a very useful tool for bird watching.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

I bought the same Leitz 7x42 BA Trinovid binocular about 1995 at a discount shortly after it was discontinued. I used it happily for 10 years or so before I upgraded it to a new, and also recently discontinued, Leica 7x 42 Trinovid BN. I have to agree that you purchased a very good older binocular at a very good price.

As Arthur Pinewood says it is still a very useful tool for birdwatching. I still have it and take it out to use now and then. It is very well made and it has a very friendly 6mm exit pupil, long eye relief and a wide field of view with a very large "sweet spot" in the center of its view which makes it easy to use in all lighting conditions. Its 7x power also gives it an expansive depth of field when it is used in closeup conditions while following a bird through the branches of trees or brush.

Enjoy it!

Bob

You may, over time, want newer optics but [for the price you paid] you can always make your money back at least twofold, as you got them for a steal!

While, as the above comments say, high tech optical improvements have moved forward since the time of that Leitz, the design is often hailed as the most elegant in the history of binoculardom. The unique prism design is impressively compact, and although lacking modern coatings, transmission is very good because there is so little glass, and so few surfaces to scatter light. And although extremely lightweight and making no claim to waterproofness, it ruggedness is legendary. The typical beginner would have spent his $275 on a currently made Chinese binocular with modern technology but mediocre construction and no distinction. You have run into an odd piece of luck. Hang on to the Leitz. As you grow in your appreciation of optics, you will come to recognize its weaknesses, but more, to admire its elegance. It has shown close up views of many a bird, many a lion, and many an elephant.

Ron

it's Leica II and I have it's soviet clone FED 1. Was actually fixing range meter on FED last night.

Lee if you would ever look in to German air pistols especially pre WWII like Haenel, Record or Walther this is definitely industrial work of art. I actually had to change seal on my Record air pistol that was discontinued like 40 years go (very complicated seal could not replicate it on my own). So I send Record an email, they responded that in fact they have this seals and asked for my address. 2 weeks later I got 3 seals in the mail with bill for $10. That was so cool!! I was really shocked that: a) They had this seals in stock b) they send me something with out prepayment ....

it's Leica II and I have it's soviet clone FED 1. Was actually fixing range meter on FED last night.

Lee if you would ever look in to German air pistols especially pre WWII like Haenel, Record or Walther this is definitely industrial work of art. I actually had to change seal on my Record air pistol that was discontinued like 40 years go (very complicated seal could not replicate it on my own). So I send Record an email, they responded that in fact they have this seals and asked for my address. 2 weeks later I got 3 seals in the mail with bill for $10. That was so cool!! I was really shocked that: a) They had this seals in stock b) they send me something with out prepayment ....

Is Record owned by Swarovski?;)

I used a pair for quite a while, mine was one of the last with the experimental phase correction coating.
Wish I had kept it.
Used it for surveillance work, should have seen the look on one defendants attorney's face when he asked me how I spotted his clients license number during sunset and I pulled the Leica's out and handed them to him.
Great glass, light and easy to carry, great views.
Didn't do well in extreme cold and was not waterproof which I needed at the time.
Have Ultravid HD's now that I don't need water and fog proof any more.
Use them to your hearts content.
Art

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back