• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mum's the word! [but no, this is not another thread about suppression...] (1 Viewer)

Alan Hobson

Dartford Warblers, a Spoonbill, a Curlew Sandpiper, and a day total of 69 - just some of the enjoyable moments from an excellent weekend's birding.

The slight difference from normal being that my mother, who is nearly 70 and a keen (and good!) birder, was down for this particular birding weekend.

Within minutes of her arrival at my flat on Friday teatime, we were off [who needs food?] to my local patch, the scrubland/woods opposite me. Most of the rest of the country seemed to be in rain, from reports, but happily north-east London was in bright sunshine!

Some of you may remember a previous thread I did on the elusive Bullfinches near me, but we managed to pick up them, Blackcaps, Chiff-chaffs and Willow Warbler....

After a good night's sleep in my [hastily tidied!] flat, off we journeyed on Saturday for a remarkable day, mainly at Welney. I'm sure some of you get even more than a day total of 69 [would have been 70 if I had looked a bit harder for that Jay we heard!], but it's certainly my best ever.

Excellent views of the Spoonbill, with other highlights including the Curlew Sandpiper, Avocets, Yellow Wagtails, the last few Whooper Swans, Little Ringed Plovers [at point blank range], Tree Sparrows, Common Tern, Black-tailed Godwits [in near summer plumage] and Ruff.

Alas, the long resident Bewick's Swan, permanently resident there for nearly 20 years after being injured and unable to migrate, died during the winter. Hopefully its mention here serves as a tribute of sorts.

We also saw good views of the Stone-curlews and Woodlarks at Weeting Heath, and Grey Partridges at a reliable field for them in the wilds of west Norfolk.

The weather had remained sunny throughout the day, despite grim news elsewhere (my girlfriend told me it rained all day in Yorkshire). However, the next day brought the rain at last, and wind. Unsurprisingly, therefore, the Grasshopper Warblers weren't showing at Two Tree Island, Essex. However, we did pick up a Wheatear, Knot, Ringed Plovers, Avocets, Turnstones, Whitethroats and Black-tailed Godwits.

Despite heavy rain, we braved it on to Surrey [after a return to my flat for a pit-stop] and arrived at Thursley Common. With some trepidation, due to rain and Dartford Warblers not being an obvious mix (though the wind had gone, thankfully), we set off. And, within a few hundred yards, we had the remarkable experience of seeing first Stonechats [great views] then Dartford Warblers [ditto], then Redpoll, all in the same place. Especially amazing since normally I have to go much further there into the hinterland before catching the Dartfords. The bright yellow gorse looked stunning as well, as did the raindrops glistening on the branches....A great end to a day which had an unpromising start.

My mum has returned, very satisfied, to Yorkshire, and I'm back here at work. But with memories of a really enjoyable weekend, a new personal best for day total, and a year list of 165.

So despite the dodgy weather we've had for much of this year, its proving to be a bumper birding year so far for me - and for my mum!

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a great weekend...what wouldn't I give to see Spoonbill,Dartford Warbler,Avocets,Stone Curlew,Woodlark and Curlew Sandpiper...and your mum sounds a character! Fancy going birding the moment she arrived...wish Neil was like that! He'll often pick me up from work and I'll just fancy nipping along to Jesmond Dene or the Lighthouse for an hour or so but he'll be too tired! MOST annoying...though once I pass my test and have the car I must remind myself to go home occasionally and NOT go straight up to Druridge Bay LOL

A year list of 165 is brilliant...not sure what mine is so far as I've let the paperwork go to pot just lately...have to work it out soon!

GILL

Hi Gill,

Thanks for your comments - glad you enjoyed the thread. You're right - my mum is quite a character! I do sympathise about your partner not always being keen, but it sounds like he is sometimes at least. Right through the 1990s, I had a partner who didn't enjoy birding at all! By the way, I love Northumberland - it's a great county.

Hi Jo,

Yes, it is a shame about the Bewick's. As well as being always nice to see anyway, it also used to provide me with a useful year tick if I had not got up there in time and missed the main Bewick's flock that year!

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back