• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is anyone familiar with Garrett Optical? (1 Viewer)

Ozz

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some bins for a bit of astronomy. I've been looking around and have noticed brands such as Orion, Oberwerk, Celestron, Zhumell, Garrett Optical, among others.

I've read some relatively dismal reviews on some of them (mainly Zhumell)...many of the bins look mighty similar...but of course, that's only from looking at the exteriors...I don't know about the interior components.

Garrett Optical's website uses some decent marketing, stressing customer service and their 14 point inspection, etc....

My question is, has anyone used any of their bins? (and if you have used the 15x70 or larger sizes, that's a plus) and are they actually any good? Did they show up properly collimated, are the optics decent, was the customer service, if needed, actually pretty good?

Thanks! :t:

Garrett Optical is a respected provider of astronomical binoculars. Many of the optics you've seen do look exactly alike, since most of the distributors are ordering stock from just a limited number of manufaturers in Kunming China. However, not all dealers order to the same quality level from the factory. For instance the exact same binocular can be ordered FMC or just coated.

Like most dealers, Garrett offers several different quality level lines of binoculars. The Gemini TWP models are better than the LW models. The Signature models are a significant step up above the others. On the Cloudy Nights Binocular forum and CN Rreviews you will find dozens of reviews of Garrett optics and the same optics from similar vendors.

Like I've found with all vendors, Garrett provides some products that I would recommend and some that I would steer you away from.

edz

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back