• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Abandoned baby bird? Help! (1 Viewer)

Newguy123

Hello everyone,

Today I noticed a bird chasing my dog around the back yard. Then I realized she was trying to protect her babies that were hiding in a bush. After I brought the dog in, I was watching the mom teach them how to fly. The babies were jumping on the fence ledges and fluttering down with the mom. I walked the dog maybe 20 min. later, and noticed one of the babies hiding in a bush. The other baby and the mom are gone. It is dark out now, and the mom is nowhere to be found. I haven't been going near her just in case. But I'm worried the dog may have injured it and the mom left it behind. What should I do? How long should I wait before doing something?

Help! I'll take care of it if I have to, but obviously I don't want to jump the gun and make the situation worse!

Thanks!

Yes, Certaintly don't jump the gun. It has not nessecarily been abandoned. I would say wait to see if the mother comes back (she probably will). Also, you can try calling your local wildlife rehabilitation center they can probably help.

Thanks for the reply. I went out there this morning, and she's sell pitting in that small bush. I didn't see the mom or the other baby, either. I guess I'll keep an eye out throughout the day and see what happens.

EDIT: Alright so good news. I happened to see out the window the mom came back and looks like she brought food for her. Pretty amazing how she was gone for that long and knew exactly where to come back!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back