• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help with baby mistle thrush (1 Viewer)

Penejon

United Kingdom
There is a mistle thrush out the front of our flats (we are in London). My cat caught one of its babies and brought it into our garden about an hour ago. I got it off her straight away and it appears unharmed. I tried giving it back to mum, who was in our garden and knew it was there, but she wouldn't come near with me there, and when I went inside the baby shut up and mum seemed confused and flew off. I don't know what she'd do with it anyway, she can't carry it right? I think it must have fallen from the nest for my cat to get it because she doesn't climb trees. It seems quite big and fluffy and is asking for food. It can fly a little bit but not much/not to any height.

I called emergency bird rescue and they said even a micro scratch is enough for it to get septicaemia so it needs treatment, and not to release it. They said to give it cat food, not suet or mealworms or seeds. And to wait for them to contact me. So, I have it in a box and I'm giving it bits of chicken cat food (felix as good as it looks), but I still have SO MANY QUESTIONS. No idea how long I will have this thing in my home.

How much cat food? Could I also give it some berries (frozen and defrosted blackcurrants, blackberries, strawberries, redcurrants)? Could I give it some worms from the garden? Its quarter past nine in the evening here - can I leave it overnight or does it need feeding throughout? I have to go out tomorrow morning - will it be ok for a few hours? If I leave foo in the box will it be incapable of opening it. Should I syringe it some water? Is there any other advice anyone can give me about keeping this little thing alive until the professionals step in??

(It goes without saying that it will be in a room that the cats have no access to.)

Feeling very guilty right now that my cat did this, I've been loving that momma mistle thrush, I'm so sad my cat has taken her baby from her. She's an absolute badass (although could be a male to be fair) she swoops down and hassles all the neighbourhood cats all day long. I've been giving her snails from my garden and also mealworms and suet although I don't know if she eats it or someone else does. Poor momma!!

Hi Penejon and a warm welcome from me too. Some of your questions may be answered in our guide: We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds. Have a look through it and if you still have questions, don't be afraid to ask.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to Birdforum.

The fledgling looks quite mature. I wouldn’t give it berries, but leave the cat food accessible to it. It won’t need feeding overnight. If the cat food is wet, it probably won’t need water.

Thank you Mono, Delia and Kits for your help! As you suggested I just stuck to the advice I had to give him cat food.

Fortunately a volunteer with Bird Rescue London had space to take him in, and I've just dropped him off, and she'll give him what he needs to make sure he doesn't get sick from being grabbed by my cat. She suggested that if all goes well I'll actually pick him up fairly soon and release him again in the same area as he's so close to being able to fly.

Unfortunately keeping my cats in isn't an option, but I have put a bell on the huntress who caught this fledgling - the other two cats never catch anything, but she gets a lot of worms and the occasional mouse. None of them can climb trees and they're all very well fed and fat so they're not too much of a threat to birds as a general rule, I just think that this mistle thrush fell from his nest.

How is is going? Try and release it soon if you haven't already, or it may lose its foraging and hunting instincts

Hi again Penejon I'm so glad that you've managed to get him placed with the rescue centre; I'm sure they'll advise the best place to release him when he's ready.

If it's at all possible, it can be a good idea to keep cats in during the breeding season to try and protect the vulnerable fledgings.

He is still with the rescuer, he has a leg injury at first so it's a good thing he went there, but that has now healed. I'm going to pick him up and release him here (on the rescuer's advice) as soon as he can fly. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back