• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A 10 km. "bird" race (1 Viewer)

Peter C.

...just zis guy, you know?
I like to run races, of the recreational sort – but in middle age, I do this very poorly. Yesterday being a holiday in Canada, I was able to participate in a 10 km. “fun run” (what a lie that phrase is) in honour of our national day. It took place in the small southern Ontario city of Brantford, straddling the Grand River. The Grand is a major river in this region, and not a bad corridor for wildlife; as an indication of the relatively good health of the environment here, Bald Eagles now nest, after having been absent from the river (as breeders) for many decades.

Anyway, since running is not exactly the joy it once was (esp. at 28º C. !), I like to distract myself during a race by seeing what birds I can identify, by eye and (mostly) ear, as I go. The Brantford race route, which follows hiking trails right along the Grand instead of roads, is particularly good for this. Even before the race started, I had a sign of good things to come - hearing a characteristic series of whistles, I looked up to see two Osprey patrolling over the sports field the race would be starting from.

The start itself involved a great deal of sound and fury, but before we’d even reached the 1km mark, the route plunged down the river bank, and into greenery. I was a bit surprised that the first bird I heard in there was a singing American Redstart! While they are a common bird in forest all over southern Ontario, they’re not always so easy to find in city parks. Turning upstream, the next species heard was House Wren, followed almost immediately by Warbling Vireo (a bird that seems ubiquitous near water – any kind of water). Between kms. 2 and 3, the Great Crested Flycatchers really started to kick in – there seemed to be a new one “rrrr-EEP!”-ing beside the trail every 50 m. or so.

After the 3rd kilometre, the route crossed the river by way of a large footbridge; I made a point of looking up and down the river for waterbirds, but Canada Goose was all I could manage from there. A Song Sparrow did sing from the bank, though. The trail on the far side of this bridge is more urban, with much less greenery, and thus a bit of a “desert” for birds. Our race route continued on that side for about another 1/2 km., before turning about and retracing itself - and it was downright nasty, being out from under the shade of the trees! However, there were Red-winged Blackbirds all along here, and I was able (over my own gasps for air) to hear Yellow Warbler and Gray Catbird singing from the brush down at river-level, and an American Goldfinch gave its whiny “twee-ee” flight call from overhead.

Back in the forest, on the return leg the species I had heard on the way up all repeated in reverse order (although I’m sure there were some House Sparrows thrown in there somewhere as well). Right at beginning the last km., there was one final addition to the list – an Indigo Bunting singing right above my head. Very briefly, I had the absurd notion of stopping and pointing it out to the runner right behind me – but as we were both just struggling to get the damn thing over with, I suspect this would not have gone over very well…

Peter C.

You're making me feel lazy now! We usually combining hiking and birding, but running and birding, that's extreme! ;-)

LOL Peter. You did well... and like the other two, have made me feel rather tired.

A great idea that.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back