• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which extender? (1 Viewer)

Xmor

I want to get a 1.4 extender to go with my Canon 60D and Sigma 150-500 APO DG OS. I also want to be able to use it with a Tamron 70-300 Di VC USD. Which would be the best extender to go for. Budget I have is about £400.00

I wouldn't bother as you will loose AF and significant IQ. With only a few exceptions extenders are best kept for F4 or faster prime lenses.
You will almost certainly be better off cropping.

I want to get a 1.4 extender to go with my Canon 60D and Sigma 150-500 APO DG OS. I also want to be able to use it with a Tamron 70-300 Di VC USD. Which would be the best extender to go for. Budget I have is about £400.00

I used the same Tamron 70-300, on Canon 600D. The combo was a bit short for birds, so I bought a Kenko 1,4x Teleplus Pro300, after reading the long review by a renowned German site: http://www.traumflieger.de/desktop/telekonverter/konvertertest2_teil4.php

The test has four parts, my link goes to the final conclusions. I was satisfied with the Kenko, until I bought a SX50 that offered larger birds, if a bit pixelated.

I go along with the others, you would be better off saving the money towards a longer lens or one that takes an extender well (mainly f4 or faster but a few exceptions). Neither of your lenses will be that good with an extender even if you manually focus.

Slightly different question but on the same lines -

Would a canon 200mm f2.8L prime lens coupled with a canon 2x III extender be as usable and fast as the canon 400mm f5.6 birding lens, it should be smaller and lighter?

Slightly different question but on the same lines -

Would a canon 200mm f2.8L prime lens coupled with a canon 2x III extender be as usable and fast as the canon 400mm f5.6 birding lens, it should be smaller and lighter?
It would certainly not be as fast to AF (by a long margin) and the IQ would not be as good either.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies one and all. Glad I asked the question. Now to find something else to spend the money on.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back