• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upgrading cameras (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

I want to ask about if going with a camera model say for example EOS R7 can be a great or better upgrade from old models of DSLRs such as 30D or 7D or 1D Mark III?

Also which R model that is equivalent [or better than] to the old model of Canon 1DX?

I am doing sports photography mainly soccer for a while in the past and stopped, now i want to get back to that, and add birding if possible and wildlife which is rare in my country, but i know the fast camera that i use for sports and actions is the best one for birders also, 1DX was my strong camera for sports and still happy, but it is time for me to upgrade all or most of my old cameras, and for budget i see that R7 is good, but others told me to look at R3 and R6 Mark II, i didn't ask people from Nikon/Sony side, i think i want to stuck with those three brands only.

Hi all,

I want to ask about if going with a camera model say for example EOS R7 can be a great or better upgrade from old models of DSLRs such as 30D or 7D or 1D Mark III?

Also which R model that is equivalent [or better than] to the old model of Canon 1DX?

I am doing sports photography mainly soccer for a while in the past and stopped, now i want to get back to that, and add birding if possible and wildlife which is rare in my country, but i know the fast camera that i use for sports and actions is the best one for birders also, 1DX was my strong camera for sports and still happy, but it is time for me to upgrade all or most of my old cameras, and for budget i see that R7 is good, but others told me to look at R3 and R6 Mark II, i didn't ask people from Nikon/Sony side, i think i want to stuck with those three brands only.
Hi

In the absence of any other comments yet, here are my thoughts!

I upgraded from the 7D mk1 to the R7 and was amazed at the improvements, especially for the price and am very happy with the camera.

According to Canon Rumours (if you believe in those), the new Canon flagship camera will be the R1 which is due to be released this year in time for the Paris Olympics. Again, according to the "Rumours" it is already out with selected photographers for field testing. Expect it to packed full of features and expensive when it actually appears!

I cannot comment on sports photography as I do wildlife only.

One final point. you don't mention budget which may be relevant!

Shane

Hi

In the absence of any other comments yet, here are my thoughts!

I upgraded from the 7D mk1 to the R7 and was amazed at the improvements, especially for the price and am very happy with the camera.

According to Canon Rumours (if you believe in those), the new Canon flagship camera will be the R1 which is due to be released this year in time for the Paris Olympics. Again, according to the "Rumours" it is already out with selected photographers for field testing. Expect it to packed full of features and expensive when it actually appears!

I cannot comment on sports photography as I do wildlife only.

One final point. you don't mention budget which may be relevant!

Shane
Hi Shane,

Thank you very much for your reply and comment answer.

I am still not decided about my budget as i still think about a dream plan i am trying to finish, if it happens then i can put any budget, if not then i think it will be around $2000-3000 this year if i can't sell my old cameras, if i sold them then i can increase up to $4000-5000 maybe.

I also wanted to have that R7 as a replacement to 30D and 1D3 which are crop factors cameras, later i can think about another replacement or upgrade for 1DX, but i feel like R7 is better for birding but not sports or vise versa, so i have to read and research more.

I will wait that Canon R1, sounds it is a response from Canon to Sony A1 or Nikon Z9 somehow, not sure, if it is so expensive then i might wait or just buy whatever i can afford that time.

Tareq

With modern mirrorless cameras there is available excellent subject detection and in some cases eye detection. This is a huge improvement when photographing birds as the camera will focus on the eyes and not on sticks and branches around the bird.

With Canon there is their 200-800mm zoom lens that would be excellent for photographing small birds. It is heavy but that is part of the equation with bird photography. Nothing quite like this lens from Sony or Nikon or third party lens companies. The lens sells for $1900 US which is actually quite reasonable for a lens with its focal length range and quality.

Comparable Nikon camera is their Z8 and with Sony their a7 IV in terms of eye detection and overall autofocus performance.

With modern mirrorless cameras there is available excellent subject detection and in some cases eye detection. This is a huge improvement when photographing birds as the camera will focus on the eyes and not on sticks and branches around the bird.

With Canon there is their 200-800mm zoom lens that would be excellent for photographing small birds. It is heavy but that is part of the equation with bird photography. Nothing quite like this lens from Sony or Nikon or third party lens companies. The lens sells for $1900 US which is actually quite reasonable for a lens with its focal length range and quality.

Comparable Nikon camera is their Z8 and with Sony their a7 IV in terms of eye detection and overall autofocus performance.
If i can sell my Canon 1D3 with some other old models then i can think about something new of mirrorless, in fact i am thinking about selling like 4 or 5 cameras together then i can buy two new cameras, also if i manage to sell my old lens Canon EF 100-400 mk1 with let's say TC 1.4x mk2 then i could manage to get that 200-800 also, i could think about selling 1.4x mk3 or 2x mk3 but i don't want to give up everything that fast, i don't know when it will come a time i will need those again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back