• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (2 Viewers)

So down to Andalusian Hemipode (Small Buttonquail) and Atlas Flycatcher and they will have seen all of the main targets for Morocco. A remarkable achievement. They should have plenty of time for those - though seeing the first some have found very tough.

Egypt looks very tight with fourteen days and 21 critical targets:-
Pink-backed Pelican
Yellow Bittern
Goliath Heron
Yellow-billed Stork
Yellow-billed Kite
Lappet-faced Vulture
Verreaux's Eagle (extinct?)
Sooty Falcon
African Swamphen
Greater Painted Snipe
Senegal Thick-knee
Kittlitz's Plover
Three-banded Plover
Sooty Gull
Saunders's Tern
African Skimmer
Chestnut-bellied Sandgrouse
Senegal Coucal
African Pied Wagtail
Nike Valley Sunbird
Streaked Weaver

All the best

So down to Andalusian Hemipode (Small Buttonquail) and Atlas Flycatcher and they will have seen all of the main targets for Morocco. A remarkable achievement. They should have plenty of time for those - though seeing the first some have found very tough.

Pink-backed Pelican
Yellow Bittern
Goliath Heron
Yellow-billed Stork
Yellow-billed Kite
Lappet-faced Vulture
Sooty Falcon
African Swamphen
Greater Painted Snipe
Senegal Thick-knee
Kittlitz's Plover
Three-banded Plover
Sooty Gull
Saunders's Tern
African Skimmer
Senegal Coucal
African Pied Wagtail
Nike Valley Sunbird
Streaked Weaver

All the best

Looks like a fast mover, so will need to be on their toes! :-O

I attach three photos which I identified as lucidus on the basis of gular pouch from Lassarga, Dakhla, Western Sahara in February 2016 - all in same group - one in focus and two cropped from same photo out of focus. (A friend had two probable Long-tailed Cormorants there which got away....) All have white thigh patches. The last picture is a flyby cormorant from Dakhla seafront - restricted white on neck but not breast and no thigh patch.....

I cannot help!

All the best

Paul

I have now found a few photos with thigh patches - so now not sure what to make of it.
I was also struck by the extend of the filoplumes on the head of the in focus bird. Although typical of carbo forms - I cant find any other photos of lucidus with this feature.

So down to Andalusian Hemipode (Small Buttonquail) and Atlas Flycatcher and they will have seen all of the main targets for Morocco.

Egypt looks very tight with fourteen days

They were heading back north last night - so presumably in the Atlas for the flycatcher this morning.

I agree, Egypt looks tight - I wonder if they are considering cutting Morocco short and going there early.

I have now found a few photos with thigh patches - so now not sure what to make of it.
I was also struck by the extend of the filoplumes on the head of the in focus bird. Although typical of carbo forms - I cant find any other photos of lucidus with this feature.

Well Collins says they have thigh patches ...

The whole point is that Collins doesn't separate between moroccanus and lucidus. With the IOC decision to split P carbo moroccanus from P lucidus into two species, causes problems with the same illustration and definition for both.
Would it have been alot simpler (maybe) if moroccanus would have been a subspecies of ludicus?

So does HBW. But always the risk that artwork has added an assumed thigh patch that isn't there in reality. Like Muppit, most of the pics I looked at don't show any thigh patch, but the one I linked to above clearly does.

Would it have been alot simpler (maybe) if moroccanus would have been a subspecies of ludicus?
Absolutely, definitely, totally, yes . . . . since it would get me a new armchair tick o:D 3:)

Pink-backed Pelican
Yellow Bittern
Goliath Heron
Yellow-billed Stork
Yellow-billed Kite
Lappet-faced Vulture
Sooty Falcon
African Swamphen
Greater Painted Snipe
Senegal Thick-knee
Kittlitz's Plover
Three-banded Plover
Sooty Gull
Saunders's Tern
African Skimmer
Senegal Coucal
African Pied Wagtail
Nike Valley Sunbird
Streaked Weaver

I wonder why they didn't go for the African Swamphen at Yeroham Lake in Israel, which is very easy to see. And they must have passed through Yeroham several times.

Or maybe African Swamphen is not a valid species according to the classification they use?

I wonder why they didn't go for the African Swamphen at Yeroham Lake in Israel, which is very easy to see. And they must have passed through Yeroham several times.

This was a point I made when they were in Israel, but having done the trip many times driving myself - I know that the two main routes to Arava/Eilat either head via Dimona or Mitzpe Ramon. Neither go past Yeruham. It is actually a (small) diversion - which means you need to know it is there.

Usually during COTF there is a something good as well as the Swamphen to draw the crowds - it appears there wasn't this year (although read Barak Granit piece about the Gull billed tern/Great Bittern mix up).

Also it is not well known that these are African - most internet resource is pre split and doesn't clearly say.

It still should be easy in Egypt (famous last words)

This was a point I made when they were in Israel, but having done the trip many times driving myself - I know that the two main routes to Arava/Eilat either head via Dimona or Mitzpe Ramon. Neither go past Yeruham. It is actually a (small) diversion - which means you need to know it is there.

Usually during COTF there is a something good as well as the Swamphen to draw the crowds - it appears there wasn't this year (although read Barak Granit piece about the Gull billed tern/Great Bittern mix up).

Also it is not well known that these are African - most internet resource is pre split and doesn't clearly say.

It still should be easy in Egypt (famous last words)

The Swamphen is easy in Egypt. A couple of targets should be fairly easy pickups. Senegal Thick Knee Nile Valley Sunbird and Sooty Gull for example. Others require more Work and luck.

Talking about tight time schedules - Georgia looks a little bit tight, too. Two full days for Kazbegi (where I suppose they'll be going to) could be critical, especially since mid May Great Rosefinch and G's Redstart may already be back to the higher altitudes. So seeing these two species at this time of the year could require a long (but beautiful) hike and some perseverance.

Last edited:
A question for those who have been following the totals reported on iGoTerra closely please.

After Mauritania the list stood at 528, now after adding Duponts and the Nightjar it stands at 529 so something has been removed.

I am keeping an excel document based on Paul's initial classification (with a few amendments as species are added, such as the much discussed Cormorant), so do not really wish to check all the way back to find the discrepancy!

Thank you.

Ian

Ps. It is not an addition from Mauritania, so it is further back - grrrrr

Last edited:
Barn Owl (and all their afternoon observations from Hungary) has disappeared from the list? Have they maybe deleted it by accident? They've definitely seen it, as they state to have had cracking views of it!

Last edited:
I'm working in Egypt at the moment and I hope they are aware of the access issues/ military permits required for large parts of the south now. Locals are suggesting they may have a hard time getting to sites without having permits before they arrive in the country. Plus many people have had their optics confiscated at the airport this year

Barn Owl (and all their afternoon observations from Hungary) have disappeared from the list? Have they maybe deleted it by accident? They've definitely seen it, as they state to have had cracking views of it!

Thank you Maffong, so it appears to be an "electronic" error rather than a deliberate removal (I will leave my document one ahead of them until they realise).

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back