• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AI and rare birds (2 Viewers)

But what is the game here? Are they just building trust to eventually post some spam? Or is there a more sinister story?)
I've seen spambots copy one of the answers already given with a specious link redirecting to their advertised website. The thread had to be locked by mods.

I asked ChatGPT "What is Bird Forum?"

BirdForum is a popular online community and discussion platform dedicated to birdwatching, ornithology, and all things related to birds. It provides a space for bird enthusiasts to share their observations, ask questions, discuss birding techniques, and exchange information about bird species from around the world. BirdForum also offers a photo gallery, field guides, and a marketplace for birding equipment. It's a valuable resource for both beginners and experienced birdwatchers.

Apart from the field guides bit, unless it means Opus, it is a good summary.

Certainly! Here's a limerick about BirdForum:

In BirdForum, bird lovers unite,
Sharing sightings from morning till night.
With binoculars in hand,
They explore every land,
For feathered friends, their hearts take flight!

Last edited:
haha, its not hard is it:

tell me about peter.jones on birdforum​

"There is a user named peter.jones on BirdForum. He has been a member since January 2018 and has participated in 10 threads. His most recent post was a minute ago, in the thread titled "AI and rare birds". In this post, he is discussing the potential of artificial intelligence to help identify rare birds.
It is not clear if this peter.jones is the same Peter Jones who is a British businessman and investor, and one of the original Dragons on the BBC business show Dragons' Den. However, the timing of his registration on BirdForum (shortly after Peter Jones was forced to self-isolate) and his interest in AI suggest that it is possible.
If it is the same Peter Jones, it is interesting that he is using BirdForum to discuss his interest in AI. BirdForum is a forum for birdwatchers, and it is not the most obvious place to find information about AI. However, it is possible that Peter Jones is using BirdForum to reach a wider audience with his ideas about AI and rare birds.
Ultimately, it is impossible to say for sure if the peter.jones on BirdForum is the same Peter Jones who is a Dragon's Den investor. However, the similarities between the two are certainly intriguing."

Edit: the difference in wealth between the two Peter Jones' is less than intriguing!

Birdforum Goes quiet while everyone puts their own name in!

Last edited:
tell me about peter.jones on birdforum
ChatGPT is much more coy!

I apologize, but I don't have access to specific user profiles or information about individual users on BirdForum or any other online platform. Additionally, it's important to respect privacy and not share personal information about individuals without their consent. If you have a specific question or request related to BirdForum or birdwatching in general, please feel free to ask, and I'll do my best to assist you.

From Google Bard:

"Sure, here is a scientific name for an imaginary bird named "qwerty5's gull":

Qwertygullus spectabilis

The genus name, Qwertygullus, is a combination of the username "qwerty5" and the Latin word for gull, "gullus". The species name, spectabilis, is Latin for "remarkable" or "splendid", which I think is a fitting name for a bird that is named after such a dedicated birdwatcher.

Here is a breakdown of the scientific name:

Genus: Qwertygullus
This is the first part of the scientific name and it is always capitalized. It is used to group together closely related species of animals.
Species: spectabilis
This is the second part of the scientific name and it is not capitalized. It is used to distinguish one species from another within the same genus."

Not sure how it knows I'm a birdwatcher... or that I'm dedicated 🤔

Also found that it won't give the same result twice.

Last edited:
(Is anybody here even real anymore? I have actually been seeing this on several forums - new posters chipping in to some random active thread with a very generic "advice" that I am pretty sure was AI generated. But what is the game here? Are they just building trust to eventually post some spam? Or is there a more sinister story?)
I hope that the Mods and staff would remove them, anyone tried the report button to see how that works?

It is Google Bard response to something like "AI and rare birds birdforum". I thought it was nonsensical enough to be obvious :)
Ha yes, I knew it was something like that, don't know quite why I posted what I did ... maybe trying to prove I'm still artificially unintelligent.

I can see this being reduced in quality, put into a landscape and confusing a lot of people here

Attachments

• DALL·E 2023-09-01 21.04.57 - golden eagle perched.png
    DALL·E 2023-09-01 21.04.57 - golden eagle perched.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
But what is the game here?
Judging by the use of AI in other areas, much of the 'game' is simply maleficent mischief - a kind of mirror-image Schadenfreude. The perpetrators gain enjoyment from the discomfiture of anonymous others, often as an addiction that reinforces that pleasure.

The remote nature and immediacy of electronic communication lends itself to continuous and sustained maladjusted** behaviour, such as trolling, sealioning, flaming and doxxing, where rage is ramped up deliberately or as a learned reflex.
MJB

**Behaviour that usually betrays psychological problems by routinely responding in a way which is not acceptable to society

Judging by the use of AI in other areas, much of the 'game' is simply maleficent mischief - a kind of mirror-image Schadenfreude. The perpetrators gain enjoyment from the discomfiture of anonymous others, often as an addiction that reinforces that pleasure.

The remote nature and immediacy of electronic communication lends itself to continuous and sustained maladjusted** behaviour, such as trolling, sealioning, flaming and doxxing, where rage is ramped up deliberately or as a learned reflex.
MJB

**Behaviour that usually betrays psychological problems by routinely responding in a way which is not acceptable to society
Who's using Chat GPT or sth else?

There is this: AI Content Detector | AI Detector | Chat GPT Detector - Copyleaks

I run posts in this thread through it and it detected all the obvious AI texts. It also says jurek's #35 is human made, I was actually not sure about that :) Seems like a good tool.
OMG..
My English teacher is ChatGPT, and when I had my previous posts checked, I scored 99%!

However, even when I write English sentences without relying on GPT at all, it still shows a "49.8% probability for AI." Does this mean my writing style is robotic?(I've put some thought into this post to make it more likely to be identified as human.)
All I need is to do my best every day.

Anyway, this information you've provided has been extremely valuable. Thanks a lot:)

Last edited:
I don't know.
All I know is that the technology makes it difficult to distinguish between human or computer generated data.
Why won't we be able, in a few years time to just tell it to produce checklists in ebird format?
That must be way easier than making photos of birds
that's easily accomplished without IA. But still, someone needs to upload it to eBird

Why won't we be able, in a few years time to just tell it to produce checklists in ebird format?
What I would like AI to be able to do is make a checklist with pictures.
For example, if I want to find out what kind of flower I have photographed, I can put it in image-recognition software, but this is invariably flawed when the data behind the software is limited.
However, from an illustrated checklist I could use my human brain to quickly reduce the amount of possibilities.
If you have a list of 200 species for which you have to search images yourself, it takes forever... it should only take a few minutes for a (well-programmed) AI.

Myabe it's just good at common birds?
If popular descriptions of the AI algorithm are true, AI should be better in common topics and generate more random things in rarer topics. But in my experience all birds are topic sufficiently rare that AI is unreliable.

is invariably flawed when the data behind the software is limited.

Indeed, it would be a big help if AI came with some estimate how good is its prediction. Unfortunately, companies seem too proud to do that. Perhaps they fear it will undermine trust in their product, while in reality in is the opposite.

This started jokes that ChatGPT is mansplaining as a service. It produces self-confident speeches at any topic with no basic knowledge and often wrong.

Maybe the job which AI will replace fastest will be politician? When people see that eloquent speeches at any topic can be generated automatically in few seconds, they will ignore populists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back