• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 15X50 IS crossover ? (1 Viewer)

. The 15 x 50 and 18 x 50 Canon image stabilised binoculars are fantastic for astronomy.
However, the field of view is maybe rather small for birdwatching although it would be very good for distant objects.

There are also not waterproof although listed as weatherproof and they are fairly complex because of the electronics so they may not take rough use as well as a good standard binocular.
Also in the UK I think the guarantee is only one year maybe two years in some places.
Whereas 10 years is quite common for good standard binoculars.

One also has to get to know how to use them to get the best out of them.

but handheld they will out resolve any non-stabilised binocular.

I would think the 15 x 50 would be the better choice.

Although the 12 x 36 Canon image stabilised may be a better compromise although the build quality and the image quality is not quite up to 50 mm versions.

. Thinking about it further I would probably get a Canon 15 x 50 image stabilised binocular and also a lightweight 8 x 32 opticron magnesium bodied binocular although I don't know the full specifications or field of view.

I would carry both to give me a full range of possibilities for near use or far.

But it of course depends on your particular circumstances and what you want to look at.

The 10x42ISL is not too much more pricey than the 15x50, is fully waterproof, has better optics and a wider field. Unless there are pressing astronomical requirements that mandate greater magnification, I think it would serve you better. It is certainly an outstanding birding glass, the best available currently, imho, thanks to its combination of good optics, solid construction and image stabilization.

The Canon 15x50 IS will allow you to view all of the Messiers, the major moons around Jupitor, Saturn's rings and give detailed views of the moon so it is great for handheld astronomy.

It will also provide detailed close-ups of nearby birds and allow you to see distant birds better than any non-stablized binoculars.

It is probably the best pair of binoculars for all-round use at the price and if you want to carry just one pair of binoculars then it is hard to beat.

Last edited:
The Canon 15x50 IS will allow you to view all of the Messiers, the major moons around Jupitor, Saturn's rings and give detailed views of the moon so it is great for handheld astronomy.

It will also provide detailed close-ups of nearby birds and allow you to see distant birds better than any non-stablized binoculars.

It is probably the best pair of binoculars for all-round use at the price and if you want to carry just one pair of binoculars then it is hard to beat.

Agreed with everthing above. 2 weeks ago I had Mercury, Venus and Jupiter all together within the same FOV of a 15x50 Canon IS. It was a great view. At the same time and place a woodcock was flying around there. Spotted with the very same instrument, thanks to its stabilized view great once more.

Steve

I have used both the 15x and the 18x for astronomy, the field of view is small for birding but people still use them.

Mike

I have the 18X50 for as long as it has been out, and love it. You can see things with them that are incredible. You can use them for astronomy for sure. As others have noted, they might be narrow for birding. What I do, living in Miami is take them out to the Everglades, where there is plenty of wildlife and use them for that. But I also take a little Leica 8x20 Ultravid when I need a wider view. Works great for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back