• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon IS 18x50 for bird/astro? (1 Viewer)

I have the 15x50 version and use it frequently for both birding and astronomy. I greatly enjoy them for both purposes. For birding I use them essentially as a small spotting scope with no need for a tripod. I have used them mostly this winter to watch migrating ducks and shorebirds at greater distances than my normal 8x would be useful for. I will say their major drawbacks are:
  • Horrible (for me) eyecups that I must use folded down even without glasses (I use a bino bandit to keep out light from the sides)
  • When the IS is on there are some image artifacts such as higher CA and changing image sharpness (similar to atmospheric distortion when doing planetary astronomy)
For astronomy these drawbacks are less noticeable. They show great contrast and detail and have a nice wide relatively flat field. They are on the heavier side so even though they are great for handheld use I do find with longer observing my shoulders get a little tired if I am observing unbraced.

The 18x50 is, to me, the choice if you want to see as much as possible in the night sky, but some might prefer the somewhat wider true field of the 15x50. The views of birds at a steady 18x with both eyes are wonderful, but it's too big and heavy for carrying around much, better if you're birding from the back deck or the shore and staying in one place or close to it. Still, my wife sometimes carries her pair, so YMMV.

Clear skies, Alan

Hello,
It can be said that the 18x50 are better for bird watching, and the 15x50 for astro?

Attachments

• 1677082697728.png
    1677082697728.png
    312 bytes · Views: 7
The choice between the 15 and 18x50 is pretty much a personal preference. The extra magnification will allow for better views of celestial objects and birds, but the slightly wider field of the 15x50 will make it easier to find birds and objects in the night sky, and a bit easier to follow birds around.

Clear skies, Alan

Not the Canon, but I have the Fujinon 14x40 IS and it is very good for birding-in open areas.
The 4 degree FOV limits its usefulness in close viewing , weight is not an issue with bino harness.

edj

No experience with the 18x50, but afaik it is built to high standards, at least water resistant, so probably a superb birding instrument for offshore or forest and waters edge, where the target does not move too erratically.
An experienced elderly birder lady here in NYC swore by her Canon 15x50s, believe the 18x50 would be comparably usable ans perhaps even better built.

I chose the 15x50 because the wider FOV and exit pupil appealed to me and I figured with the slightly lower magnification the stabilizer would have a bit of a better time. I am sure the 18x50 is up to snuff, it should be entirely up to your personal preference.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back