• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica APO 62 and filters (1 Viewer)

Sc0tty

United Kingdom
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone who owns one of these scopes and uses a UV/protect filter with it, can the sun-shade still be pulled out?

Cheers,

Rich.

Yes.

A quality filter (such as the one I fitted my scope) should be thin walled enough to not stop the hood passing over it ok.

Last edited:
Yes. I have a B+W filter on mine and it works fine. Having a filter does mean that Leica's awful rubber lens cap won't fit tightly but any 62mm camera lenscap will.

David

uv-filter.

Richard Scott said:
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone who owns one of these scopes and uses a UV/protect filter with it, can the sun-shade still be pulled out?

Cheers,

Rich.
hello.i use a b+w uv-filter for my 62 apo televid and yes .you can put out the sunshade when the filter is used.b+w filters are made in germany and has very high quality,and expensive.you can´t see any difference in the image when the filter is used. :hi:

The Nikon (neutral) NC filter has arrived and I've found that the lens hood will slide over the filter, but not smoothly - it sticks a bit. Why am I not surprised?Never mind - it does the job of protecting the objective lens.

While on the subject of the APO 62, I've only just bought it (with the 26x) and compared it to the Swaro 65 and Zeiss 65, trying fixed mag and zooms. Optically, I thought there was little to choose between the Leica and Swaro, but I thought the Zeiss with the zoom and 23x wasn't as good (I'm sure many will disagree).

One area where I thought it stood out from the others was how easy it is to locate a bird through the eyepiece, never the easiest of things with an angled scope. This is my third angled scope and I can't believe how easy it is to get on target - it must be down to the geometry of the scope. It also handles like a dream on my Cullman Shoulder Pod.

Rich (chuffed to bits!).

Last edited:
Grousemore said:
Can anyone please explain the reason/purpose behind affixing filters to these scopes?

For me it’s a personal thing.

It’s a throwback to years of photography and the common practice of fitting a filter to protect the front element from damage.
Very costly, easily avoided – and so the filter.

It stands to reason that the same should apply to scopes and seeing as they are able to take filters it must certainly be considered good practice too.

javva

Grousemore said:
Can anyone please explain the reason/purpose behind affixing filters to these scopes?

Basically just to protect the front lens of your scope - works in two ways - firstly you can clean the filter if it gets grubby/wet without damaging the coated lens of the scope. Secondly, if you manage to drop your scope, or bang it into something, worst result if a broken filter, much cheaper and easier to deal with than a damaged scope.

Thanks for the explanations, much appreciated...never thought about it like that.
I've always tried to protect the scope per se, thinking the front lens was no more vulnerable than the rest of the scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back