• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible to attach filter to old APO 62? (2 Viewers)

Sancho

Europe
Hi, I recently bought a 2nd hand APO 62 (I had one before, sold it, can't remember why). The scope is in excellent condition, but I've seen a few references to coating problems caused by salt spray. Looking at the objective end, I see i threads in the housing. Does anyone know if it is possible to attach a polarizing filter here to give some level of protection, and if so, what size?

According to the original manual of the Leica APO-Televid 62 (Digitaladapter; Bereitschaftstasche; Filter - Leica APO TELEVID 62 Anleitung [Seite 12]) you can attach a 62mm screw-in filter. Surprisingly small IMHO but nonetheless: congrats! I wish contenders like Swarovski or Meopta would provide the same option.
BTW a polarizing filter does help to remove reflections from non-metallic surfaces and to intensify colours but also swallows up about two stops of light, i.e. induces a light loss of 75%! Hence, it is not suitable as a lens protector. Instead, you should choose a high-quality UV or specific protection filter, e.g. Hoya HD Protector, B+W Clear 007 or similar.

According to the original manual of the Leica APO-Televid 62 (Digitaladapter; Bereitschaftstasche; Filter - Leica APO TELEVID 62 Anleitung [Seite 12]) you can attach a 62mm screw-in filter. Surprisingly small IMHO but nonetheless: congrats! I wish contenders like Swarovski or Meopta would provide the same option.
BTW a polarizing filter does help to remove reflections from non-metallic surfaces and to intensify colours but also swallows up about two stops of light, i.e. induces a light loss of 75%! Hence, it is not suitable as a lens protector. Instead, you should choose a high-quality UV or specific protection filter, e.g. Hoya HD Protector, B+W Clear 007 or similar.
Sincerest thanks Forent for that rapid and comprehensive advice! I've just ordered one on Amazon, made by a company called Urth.

Last edited:
Hi, I recently bought a 2nd hand APO 62 (I had one before, sold it, can't remember why). The scope is in excellent condition, but I've seen a few references to coating problems caused by salt spray. Looking at the objective end, I see i threads in the housing. Does anyone know if it is possible to attach a polarizing filter here to give some level of protection, and if so, what size?
The coating issues were more associated with the Televid 77 and not the 62 - I think? I have had a filter on my APO 62 since purchase and wouldn't be without one. If the filter is of good optical quality, it should have no noticeable effect on the image as seen through the scope.

RB

Thanks Forent and Rotherbirder, the uv filter arrived and fits perfectly. I don't notice any loss of light and it doesn't interfere with the operation of the sunshade.

Attachments

• IMG_20221229_135408.jpg
    IMG_20221229_135408.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
Good to hear that it isn't affecting the optical quality when viewing. I to remember quite a few of the 77mm coming into our shop with coating issues on the objectives. In those days, Leica speedily and without fuss, resolved the problem, FOC.

Sincerest thanks Forent for that rapid and comprehensive advice! I've just ordered one on Amazon, made by a company called Urth.
I've tried Urth on camera lenses and been very happy - seem to perform as well as the high end Hoya and B+W

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back