• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 UK orchids (1 Viewer)

What species is this found in south side of Glasgow? I'm thinking Northern Marsh, but confirmation would be helpful.

Also, is it common for flowers on an Orchid to have turned upside-down, as one specimen had one like this?

P.S. - Sorry for poor quality photos. Camera never focuses on plants!

Attachments

• Orchid.jpg
    Orchid.jpg
    460.1 KB · Views: 201
  • Orchid (2).jpg
    Orchid (2).jpg
    483.1 KB · Views: 190
I am a bit puzzled about the flowering time of some orchids in the North West. Elsewhere all seem to be floweing early, but here it is a mixrd picture. Bee orchids are barely in flower while Southern Marsh are going over. At Ainsdale the Northern Marsh are in full flower, while Early Marsh are larely still in bud,

Am making a flying visit to Fort William / Glencoe / Oban area early next week (primarily for Chequered Skippers) - would be great to pick up one or two of the northern orchids while I'm there. Any reliable sites for Lesser Twayblade and any chance of Small White in this area? Or anything else that would be of interest to a southerner... :) Any help much appreciated (PM if necessary).

Fen Orchids - Kenfig NNR

Looks like Fen Orchids are out and doing well at Kenfig NNR. I'm thinking of heading over this or next weekend. Could someone possibly PM me of where is best to look on the reserve. I've tried phoning them but no answer.

Thanks for any help. Matt

Quick request please. Can anyone confirm ID on this single plant as Lesser Butterfly Orchid, pls? Many thx!

Attachments

• DSCN8392_1 BF.jpg
    DSCN8392_1 BF.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCN8402_1 BF.jpg
    DSCN8402_1 BF.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 204
There certainly are! I saw a fair few in Bulgaria last week.

Mike

Article apparently doesn't mention Bulgaria, just Belgium, Netherlands and Germany.

Be interested in your pics Mike.

I've got a few more odd looking examples from a couple of other sites today that I need to sort out.

Rich

Article apparently doesn't mention Bulgaria, just Belgium, Netherlands and Germany.

Be interested in your pics Mike.

I've got a few more odd looking examples from a couple of other sites today that I need to sort out.

Rich

The address I have for you isn't working (Globalnet). Can you provide your current?

I seem to remember seeing intermediates about 10 years ago in St. George's Fields in Sheepscombe. Do they still occur there? Lost the photos a long time ago unfortunately...

Mike

Quick request please. Can anyone confirm ID on this single plant as Lesser Butterfly Orchid, pls? Many thx!

Well the pollinia look short with little in the way of a stalk, and they are held more or less parallel, both of which are pro Lesser features.

Where was it Mark?

Rich M

The address I have for you isn't working (Globalnet). Can you provide your current?

I seem to remember seeing intermediates about 10 years ago in St. George's Fields in Sheepscombe. Do they still occur there? Lost the photos a long time ago unfortunately...

Mike

I've emailed you at your gmail address Mike.

Not sure about St George's Field but we looked on Sheepscombe Common yesterday but orchid numbers were poor and the only Butterfly I saw looked to be a standard Lesser with parallel pollinia held close together. Searching wasn't helped by it starting to rain and lunch calling. Pictures in post #82 were taken just a couple of miles from there.

What would you identify each of these as?

Rich

Attachments

• 02062017 035.jpg
    02062017 035.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 165
  • 02062017 026.jpg
    02062017 026.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 02062017 118.jpg
    02062017 118.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Well the pollinia look short with little in the way of a stalk, and they are held more or less parallel, both of which are pro Lesser features.

Where was it Mark?

Rich M

Hi Rich

Thanks. Single plant at Cranham Common, Glos (steep grassy slope) - not a million miles from a known LBO stronghold at Rough Bank I believe?

Mark

Hi Rich

Thanks. Single plant at Cranham Common, Glos (steep grassy slope) - not a million miles from a known LBO stronghold at Rough Bank I believe?

Mark

Aaah. I was non-committal in my comments because the pollinia on your plant seemed rather far apart for Lesser, now I know why. Cranham Common is the site covered in the BSBI article, Greater, Lesser and their hybrid have all been reported from there and when the author examined the plants last year he thought them all intermediate.

Two of my three photos in post 110 above were taken at Cranham yesterday morning, the third was taken at another site nearby which is supposed to only hold Greaters - any guesses as to which photo?

If I'm understanding the resume of the German article I received correctly, it may be the Cranham plants are actually P. muellerii.

Rich M

Spent a couple of hours today at Martin Down for butterflies. The Burnt Orchids still looking good-four separate clumps, two are perfect, and one has gone over. Two years ago there were a couple of plants away from the main group but couldn't find them this visit. Common Spotted and Fragrant in the same area and a few Pyramids just starting to flower.

cliburn Moss

Hi - finally getting round to my last English Orchid - the lesser twayblade -going up to Cumbria in 2 weeks - would really appreciate a ppm on directions on how to find them at either Cliburn Moss or other Cumbrian sites - I know from 2 days spent there looking for clts how tricky the site is and also know how small and elusive the lts are so would appreciate any help
Thanks P

For us, this year has been quite exceptional for orchids. We have a smallholding in the Glossopdale area. We have had odd single orchids appear in a few places over the last 15 years but only one reliable patch near a pond where a few orchids flower every year. This year however we have three areas (each about 10 metres square) in different fields where orchids have appeared.

Initially we assumed that we have simply been unobservant and that they have been there for years without our noticing however the one photographed here is in the lawn where we can hardly have missed it for very long. Interestingly most of the new emergents have little or no spotting to the leaves while the regular ones near the pond have very obvious spotting. Also, they are flowering now while the ones near the pond will not be in flower for another 3 weeks.

Attachments

• Orchid in lawn.jpg
    Orchid in lawn.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
For us, this year has been quite exceptional for orchids. We have a smallholding in the Glossopdale area. We have had odd single orchids appear in a few places over the last 15 years but only one reliable patch near a pond where a few orchids flower every year. This year however we have three areas (each about 10 metres square) in different fields where orchids have appeared.

Initially we assumed that we have simply been unobservant and that they have been there for years without our noticing however the one photographed here is in the lawn where we can hardly have missed it for very long. Interestingly most of the new emergents have little or no spotting to the leaves while the regular ones near the pond have very obvious spotting. Also, they are flowering now while the ones near the pond will not be in flower for another 3 weeks.

The plant in the photograph looks like it may be a Southern Marsh orchid (probably need a closer photo of the open flowers to be sure) in which case the leaves will be unspotted (and yes they flower earlier than the spotted orchids).

It is not unusual for orchids to appear in new areas, and disappear from existing ones. Some years they choose not to flower.

Rich M

Many thanks Rich. I'm going to do a better job of documenting them over the next few days. I was interleaving the job with the much less pleasurable one of documenting the ash die-back situation on our land.

There certainly seems to be quite some variation in flower-head shape, flower colouration and petal markings as well as leaf shape etc. As for the one in the lawn I hope the attached picture is better for identification.

Attachments

• orchid in lawn2.jpg
    orchid in lawn2.jpg
    405.8 KB · Views: 180
I was up at Sandscale last week. As of last Wed am, the wardens had found only 21 coralroot spikes this year. So a pretty poor year. Of those, I saw just three. They were doing more surveying that afternoon, so they may now have found more. But probably not many more.

Looks like Fen Orchids are out and doing well at Kenfig NNR. I'm thinking of heading over this or next weekend. Could someone possibly PM me of where is best to look on the reserve. I've tried phoning them but no answer.

Thanks for any help. Matt

I've had the same response to my e-mailed request for information from Kenfig re. Fen Orchids - nothing. Disappointing for such an important site and, unfortunately, enough to dissuade me from making the long journey to South Wales.

Fen orchids - Kenfig

Looks like its going to be a bumper year for fen orchids at Kenfig. In the main slack I counted 154 plants, my previous best in the last 7 years has been 25. And this count from only one slack. It will interesting to know what the final count will be for the site. For those visiting they are still 5 days to week off their best with many still in bud.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back